Am i over stocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I have a 55 gallon aquarium and was wondering if I am overstocked

I have:
1 rainbow shark
1 albino bristlenose pleco
2 flame dwarf gouramis
10 tiger barbs

Is this overstocked and if not I would love to add some loaches

Hey guys I have a 55 gallon aquarium and was wondering if I am overstocked

I have:
1 rainbow shark
1 albino bristlenose pleco
2 flame dwarf gouramis
10 tiger barbs

Is this overstocked and if not I would love to add some loaches

If you are getting the tiger barbs dont even bother getting anything else unless you like watching fishes getting slaughtered

If you are getting the tiger barbs dont even bother getting anything else unless you like watching fishes getting slaughtered

This can be true but its a 55g tank. With adequate hiding places and plants/decor it can be diverted easily. Not all tiger barbs are killing machines. Id be more worried about the rainbow shark.

The shark will take up a pretty big space in the 55g

It said with my current stock I could add 12 kuhlis and I would be about 90% full

And yes I would have plenty of plants and hiding places

With three polka dot loaches and 12 kuhlis I am 106% full

Nearly everyone is over stocked to some extent

It managing the water that counts

We don't keep fish we keep water bad water = dead fish

Nearly everyone is over stocked to some extent

It managing the water that counts

We don't keep fish we keep water bad water = dead fish

Yes well said but for those of you reading this, it doesnt mean go out and put 50 fish in your 20g tank just because you change the water weekly. Its just a phrase and by no means should you overstock your tank.

The 1" per gal rule is total rubbish

If it was true I could have 1000" of fish but I have about 250" and I would class my tank as over stocked

It's what you feel comfy with

Most people myself included get a what we class as a big tank and our stocking levels go up

For example if we have a 55g we keep smallish fish then we get a 125g and we think we can keep every fish in the store

So with my current stock and plenty of hiding places how many kuhlis and angelious botias loaches would you say is appropriate

Also I am doing a 20 devoted to German blue rams and was wondering how many I could put in also I want to breed them

Back
Top Bottom