Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

am i overstocked??????

29 gallon cycled...AC70 filter...once per week PWC... I Currently have 8-10 zebra danios, 6 cory cats, 1 bristlenose cat, 1 dwarf gourmie and 2 baby upside down cats.... i wanted to get one more upside down catfish as i hear you should keep three of them..im not sure how true this is though..am i already pushing my limit? thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Short answer is yes. Not counting the upside down catfish, which get up to a foot long and need at least 100 gallon tank minimum, you have about 61 inches of fish, which if you use the gallon an inch rule is way too many fish for a 29 gallon tank.

I recommend at least re-homing the catfish or thinking about getting a bigger tank. Even then you have too many fish and should try and bring the numbers down.

Another thing you could do is try out this aquarium stock calculator. I found it useful in the past.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

65 gallon freshwater | 14 neon tetras | 6 emerald cories | 2 zebra nerites | 5 guppies | 2 dwarf gouramis | 1 bulldog pleco | 1 golden apple | 1 bamboo shrimp | water wisteria | java fern | anubias nana | java moss
Iodizedfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nevermind about the catfish. I was looking at the wrong ones! But still, your tank is really overstocked and you should consider re-homing some fish.
65 gallon freshwater | 14 neon tetras | 6 emerald cories | 2 zebra nerites | 5 guppies | 2 dwarf gouramis | 1 bulldog pleco | 1 golden apple | 1 bamboo shrimp | water wisteria | java fern | anubias nana | java moss
Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

Do lots of regular water tests and change of water.

If you are prerpared to do that a lot then , you could keep them.

Its up to you , most LFS have loads of fish in a small tank and they are fine.

Do what you think is right.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

where do you get 61 inches worth of fish?

the corys and the danios stay small...and its a dwarf qourmie
Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It isn't like majorly majorly overstocked, but be prepared to do enough PWCs to keep your nitrates down. (<15)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

not bristlenose cat

its bristlenose pleco
Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iodizedfate View Post
Short answer is yes. Not counting the upside down catfish, which get up to a foot long and need at least 100 gallon tank minimum, you have about 61 inches of fish, which if you use the gallon an inch rule is way too many fish for a 29 gallon tank.

I recommend at least re-homing the catfish or thinking about getting a bigger tank. Even then you have too many fish and should try and bring the numbers down.

Another thing you could do is try out this aquarium stock calculator. I found it useful in the past.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
That is a great tool... thanks
Rio 2500 Pump
Bags101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
its bristlenose pleco
Yeah, I was talking about the upside down catfish, which I somehow confused with a different type of catfish.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
29 gallon cycled...AC70 filter...once per week PWC... I Currently have 8-10 zebra danios, 6 cory cats, 1 bristlenose cat, 1 dwarf gourmie and 2 baby upside down cats.... i wanted to get one more upside down catfish as i hear you should keep three of them..im not sure how true this is though..am i already pushing my limit? thanks
Hello yank...

If your weekly water change is at least half the volume of your tank, then you can have a few more small fish. I've only dealt with relatively small fish and some larger Corydoras and keep a minimum of two adult sized fish per gallon in my 30 G tanks.

The key to maintaining heavily stocked tanks is to get smaller, very social fish that thrive in large numbers and then change out at least half the tank water every week, no slacking.

Above everything else, have fun!

B
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iodizedfate

The inch per gallon rule is generally regarded as a load of junk( no offense) on AA
it gives bad advice to newbies
Like this-
I'll put a two inch common pleco and eight one inch goldfish in my ten gallon. That'll work right?
Short answer- NO
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover
No your not overstocked at all. Your stock seems good they are all small fish with small bios except for the catfish.

I would not add another bottom dweller though.

Tags
overstock, overstocked

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com