Am I overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything with a tall/thin stem

I have rotala walichii, rotala indica, red dwarf lily, and giant hair grass, those are my thinnest stem plants. Everything was planted from cuttings without a root system and weren't touched by anyone in my tank. I know every tank is different and all but you can't just say that "bottom dweller" is synonymous with "plant uprooter" and tell someone they can't have anything but floating plants and moss.

Someone...seems ti have their panties in a bunch...

All i was saying is 100gallons is going to have some big fish and if you have little wimpy plants being swam over all the time its not a good situation,

I have quite a few bottom dwellers in my planted tank and nothing has ever been uprooted by them. The bottom dwellers listed by the OP don't necessarily sound to me like fish that will uproot plants other than possibly the pleco, but if the plants have a good root system this shouldn't be an issue.

Must be nice! My weather loach tries to rearrange my plants all the time. I've figured out his favorite places to dig & have added weights to the plant in that area but it was a real pain in the %*# replanting every morning. It's better but he still gets them once in a while.

The 1" per gallon rule seldom applies unless with large quantities of large fish. If the tank is adequately filtered, you shouldn't have any problem adding quite a few fish. I am partial to electric blue jack dempseys because they are a beautiful fish. It mainly depends on what you like to see in your tank, but you are far from being overstocked IMO.

The 1" per gallon rule seldom applies unless with large quantities of large fish. If the tank is adequately filtered, you shouldn't have any problem adding quite a few fish. I am partial to electric blue jack dempseys because they are a beautiful fish. It mainly depends on what you like to see in your tank, but you are far from being overstocked IMO.

It's more about the waste produced and the stress put on the fish

Agree one inch per gallon is bull

Yeah, the 1 inch per gallon rule is nonsense in most cases - because going by that you could put a BGKF in a 20g.

And lol, Zimmanski, sorry about that! Good to know you're a boy though haha.

THanks for all the advice everyone! I just added 6 Panda Corys. I hope they make it because I hear that corys are very sensitive to water parameters. My water parameters fluctuate constantly due to my room temperature always changing.

Now that I have so many bottom dwellers...

6 Panda Cory
4 Clown Loaches
1 Weather Loach

Do I have any room for more Cory? I think Panda Cory are absolutely adorable! They seem to react towards my clown loaches as if they were their own and vice versa. My clown loaches are more confident then they usually were! I think it's due to the Panda Cory looking similar to the Loaches (They both have stripes and are similar size).

If I can add more cory, I was thinking about adding a different species of cory. Would this be a bad idea? To be honest, I might ditch the guppies and just turn this into a Loach/Cory only tank. Can anyone recommend me a species of cory if additions is possible?

SIDE NOTE: I was thinking about a Black Knife Ghost fish too before Corys but, I didn't want my guppies getting killed or risking it... It would be nice to have a fish to keep my guppy population down that wouldn't hurt my other fish. I have a Goldfish tank with a single Pom Pom Goldfish, I might switch it into a Tropical for extra guppies and possibly turn it into a predatory tank for excess guppy. Hopefully I can find a species of predatory fish that wont bother Red Cherry Shrimp because I want shrimp so I can breed them too. ( My LFS charges 5$ for one.. yes ONE Red Cherry Shrimp. I want to breed them and sell them for cheaper.)

I would say you could have about 20 cories if you don't plan on adding anything else. So 4 more panda, and 10 false julli. Even with that many cories, I think you could do a couple of bigger fish for the top of the tank. Rainbows, and dwarf gourami would work. They could control the guppy population as well.

I think with four clown loaches you should probably keep your Cory shoal to about 12 max. You can mix types if you want it won't cause any issues. Get 6 more of whatever Cory you like. Remember that while 75 gallons is a lot of water and can house a good amount if fish, it only has so much floor space. I have 2 clown, 2 striata, 2 angelicus, and a couple kuhli loaches and honestly I wouldn't put any more in my tank. You'll be surprised how fast your clowns will grow to the six inch mark and they love to forage so having a huge shoal of corys will only make things cramped at the bottom. I would add a couple centerpiece fish and a good schooling middle/top swimming fish and go from there. Again, 75 gallons is a large aquarium, but it gets filled up deceptively fast.

Back
Top Bottom