Am I overstocked? General thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zachary15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am pretty new to seriously keeping fish. Right now I have a 10 gallon setup with 2 dalmatian mollies, 2 red wag platys, 2 tetra goldfish, and 2 snails. I know I must be extremely close to the limits of what my tank can support, and I do not want to mess up the success of these fish this far. However, I would like to stock it with a few bottom feeders that would compliment the rest of the tank. Any suggestions?

I am pretty new to seriously keeping fish. Right now I have a 10 gallon setup with 2 dalmatian mollies, 2 red wag platys, 2 tetra goldfish, and 2 snails. I know I must be extremely close to the limits of what my tank can support, and I do not want to mess up the success of these fish this far. However, I would like to stock it with a few bottom feeders that would compliment the rest of the tank. Any suggestions?

You are overstocked. The mollies and tetras need to go then you'll be at your limit.

Yep, sorry to say but you're overstocked already, although there are fish that do well in a 10 gallon the fish you've selected are probably better off in a larger tank and towards the question of adding bottom feeders even small Cory's in a proper group should be given plenty of floor space. If you redo your stocking you can have some bottom feeders like Pygmy Cory's though, but they need compatible tank makes too.
Edit: oh and what "tetra goldfish" are you talking about? Maybe a typo?

I expected this response. Just a bit over zealous with the process I suppose. Thanks for the help.

I expected this response. Just a bit over zealous with the process I suppose. Thanks for the help.

We've probably all made the mistake of overstocking a tank at some point, that's why I started out with 29 and now I have a 75 a 20 and a 10 haha. You will get much more enjoyment and side step a lot of heartache by properly stocking a tank, believe me. And asking questions and doing research is the first step in the right direction, so good on you for doing it. Some people just ignore good advice when given, even when given by several people

Back
Top Bottom