Am I paying too MUCH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_fresh

Aquarium Advice Regular
A guy at my local pet shop is ordering me a 30 gallon tank and hood for around 180$. is this a rip off? seems like it.[/quote]

Winchester KY! I live in Richmond!
were are you ordering your tank? I would guess that a 30 gallon ordered would run you
maybe 45-50 bucks.. depends on the type of hood does, it come with some kind of light
or built in filtration?
Welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

Walmart sells a 29 gallon kit with hood and filter for $94. Petsmart sells it for a little bit more than that, but still under $100 I'm sure. IMO, it's a bit high.

yes lighting is everything. the tank costs quite a bit less than a new light. unless you get the cheap kind

I agree. That seems like a rip off. We got a 29 gal tank, Eclipse hood, stand, and saltwater kit for $185.

2 words

GARAGE SALE

i got a 70 gallon tank plus a fluval 403 filter, plus an undergravel filter(price listed was 200 dollars), plus 100 dollars worth of this beautiful gravel, plus lighting with 4 36" lights.

all for 50 dollars cnd.

I too have found that garage sales can be a wonderful find. I wouldn't have known what was good pricing before I found this site, and even though I can't buy things as cheaply as a lot of you can, it does provide me with a guideline for what is reasonable or not.

Zagz- You just have to shop around. Go to different stores, get prices, and try to talk the salesman down in price. I got a $120 stand for James' mom's 29 gal tank for $75. And it's a very nice stand. A good tip is to start a fish tank fund. Put money aside every week. This way when you come across a great deal, you can buy it easily. That's what we are doing now for the future 265 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom