am i stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gallon tank with the following stock.

2 bosemanis
1 trifisciata rainbow
1 leopard ctenepoma
5 lemon tetras
8 black skirt tetras
1 bn pleco.

I will most likely be adding more rainbows to finish my school and perhaps an angelfish in the future. He is is my 29 at the moment. I know its not ideal hence why I'd like to move but I need to make sure that his internal parasites are long gone.

Am I stocked should I add more. Suggestions.

aqadvisor.com will help you see how stocked you are. It's super easy to use and takes into account tank size, filter type, and fish temperament. I use it a lot!
(my god if I had a penny for every time I recommended this website, I'd be rich!)
Good luck with your tank, and seriously try out that stocking tool!

The leopard ctenepoma is a predator and grows to about 6" and at that size can eat anything under 4". So considering that could add a couple more medium/large rainbows but I would get some bottom dwelling fish. 5 stritia botia would be nice. You could also get a bolivian ram. You could think about moving the tetras to the 29g, and adding the angel, ram, and botias.

I checked out aquadvisor and my current stocking is 73% and 129% for filtration.

I also ran the numbers if I added the angel, 3 additional rainbows, and a pair of german blue rams. 111% stocking 73 % filtration. Not great

I also tried without the lemon tetras, 102% stocking, 82 % Filtration. Decent.

Prior to purchasing my leopard ctenepoma I did discover that since the black skirt tetra is just as high as it is long the ctenepoma may not be able to eat it in the future. So I figure that if move the lemon tetras to my 29 I should be okay. Should I add an additional filter. I was considering a fluval 406 a little while back, but find them a little pricey.

If I am to move the angel to the 55 and the lemon tetras to my 29. Do you guys have any stocking suggestions for the 29? Will lemon tetras eat cherry shrimp?

I have an ac 30 and a fluval c3 on the 29 so that should be plenty of filtration.

Remember too that aqadvisor uses to max size of the fish. So those estimations are as if all the fish in the tank reach the expected max size, a lot of the time that dosent happen. So I still think you would be fine. Extra filtration never hurts but I dont think you need it. The lemons shouldnt bother the shrimp.

I checked out aquadvisor and my current stocking is 73% and 129% for filtration.

I also ran the numbers if I added the angel, 3 additional rainbows, and a pair of german blue rams. 111% stocking 73 % filtration. Not great

I also tried without the lemon tetras, 102% stocking, 82 % Filtration. Decent.

Prior to purchasing my leopard ctenepoma I did discover that since the black skirt tetra is just as high as it is long the ctenepoma may not be able to eat it in the future. So I figure that if move the lemon tetras to my 29 I should be okay. Should I add an additional filter. I was considering a fluval 406 a little while back, but find them a little pricey.

If I am to move the angel to the 55 and the lemon tetras to my 29. Do you guys have any stocking suggestions for the 29? Will lemon tetras eat cherry shrimp?

I have an ac 30 and a fluval c3 on the 29 so that should be plenty of filtration.

It's perfectly safe to go above 100% stocking on a tank. I would try to avoid going over 150% however. The filtration capacity on aqadvisor is also a number that can be safely ignored. If you have an appripriately sized filter for your tank you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom