Amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ickletas

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Amano shrimp is berried, can someone tell me how and when I would need to move her and or the larvae?

yea i have three amano shrimp that i acclimated to brackish. i love these guys and i read up on how to breed them but it seems very hard. apparently in the wild they drop the eggs in fresh or brackish and they drift out into the ocean and then make there way back to fresh after they molt for the first time.

some people say they will breed in brackish and survive but i have never done it. i like these guys they eat a lot of algae but they sure do poop a lot.

but at least they consume other fish poop so it's not as bad as it could be..... :lol:

Yup! And with sand, its a quick. Clean up, twice a week, for me. They poop a lot though (more than my 30 somthing cerries do, and its just 4 of them haha)

Well I've moved her to a 17l (3.5g I think) and have some green water cultivating on the windowsill. Off to the lfs for some salt tomorrow. I think the gist is that I should net her out once the eggs hatch and then increase the salinity of the water and add green water. It is alleged that the little shrimps can be transferred back (via some containers with decreasing levels of salinity, I'm hoping that tupperwares with sponge filters will be ok for this)somewhere between 28 and 40 days depending on how long it takes then to be able to swim as opposed to float aimlessly.

Wow, this will be cool to watch, and I agree with the sponge filtered tupperware to increase salinity. Leme know how it goes, mine have never berried :(

Wow, this will be cool to watch, and I agree with the sponge filtered tupperware to increase salinity. Leme know how it goes, mine have never berried :(

are you sure you have a female?

Can we get a pic! I'm not doubting you, I'm just really excited for you lol. Amanos are one of my fav. Shimp I've kept, and breeding would be very interesting to say the least! :)

They aren't very good as I had to use my "smart" phone cos my camera has sadly died a death.
img_1535545_0_3d6df1513246df8ef717e4aa2e9e2be1.jpg

img_1535545_1_700651faedde1afaa82ed5095a86e11f.jpg

My smartphone is dumb as heck! Lol
Hard to tell what's what's, but thnx for the effort :)
When I take camera pics, I actually set my phone flat against the glass, that's helps me..

Well this evening some of the eggs have hatched and I have some larvae!!!! SQUEEEEEE!! They are really tiny, about 1- 1.5mm long. They will apparently survive for a few days in fw so as she still has a few eggs I'm going to hang on until tomorrow to move mummy back to the 10g and then start adding some salt. Cross your fingers for me :)

Well all the larvae are hatched and kind of twitching around the tank, mum is back in the 10g and the salt and green water are in. Now all I have to do is wait and see.......

Back
Top Bottom