Amano Shrimp Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guns286

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought 5 Amano shrimp for my 72g FW tank. This is my first time keeping shrimp and, so far, they seem to be doing great. I read alot about them and made sure that water quality, temp., tank layout, and tank mates were all good for them.
I was wondering if anyone knows a good ratio of shrimp to tank size? I've read a few different "formula's" online but still dont have a real answer. Like I said, I have a 72g bowfront tank, with a bottom surface area of 4' x 1.5'. I know that 5 is not enouph, but I dont want to many that they get cramped. I'm thinking 10 total, but was wondering if anyone had a suggestion.
Also, if anyone know about their behavior, I was wondering why they sometimes will stand in one place and arch their back for awhile?
Thanks for any help.

I wouldnt worry about getting cramped. I know amano shrimp can get a little larger than most shrimp that ive seen but in a 72g I would think that 10 is no problem at all. I have right now 7 adult tiger shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 2 ghost shrimp, and 3 juvi tiger shrimp in a 20 long right now with fish in there too (although half the fish are getting moved in a week)

they get to be about 2 inch. dont really have any kind of formula... 20-30 of them is fine or more.

Thanks. I'll go with the 10, for now, because the original 5 seem to be doing a great cleaning job. A total of 10 should be even better.
Bill

I agree, I have about 20 in my 75g with no issues even though the tank is well stocked with fish. They are busy busy shrimp constantly eating and cleaning but do not add much to the overall bioload. You can comfortably add many more if you desire.

I can never see my shrimp. I added 5 to a 15 gallon planted tank but can only ever see 3 of them, and they hide in a crevass in the back of my filter most of the time.

Are they usually this timid and hard to see??

How long ago did you add them? At first mine stayed behind rocks or under ornaments, but after they felt comfortable (about a week or so) they started "patroling" the bottom for food. I have 10 now, in a 75g tank. There is always 4 or 5 of them walking around. Are there fish in the tank? They have to realize that they're not going to get eaten also. I hear they are great for planted tanks but, unfortunatly, that also gives them alot of places to hang out, out of sight.

Bout 5 days ago now... can only see 3 and they are hid behind filter all day and night. There are fish in tank yes and lots of plants.

In a single species tank, Red Cherry Shrimp can go 30 per gallon. I think as long as you still have more algae that needs picking at, you can add more Amanos.

I have a rather elderly Amano in my spare 10 gallon that does a pretty good job of keeping it clean by himself. I have no idea what to attribute his longevity to, as the tank is in an awkward place and gets maintained horribly.

Shrimp are rather reclusive around fish. They are more active in a species specific tank.

Back
Top Bottom