Amazing tales of fish survival!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had realized a few days ago that I had not seen my SAE in awhile. I figured the other inhabitants gobbled it up and it didn't bother me greatly since I never had any types of algae it is normally chosen to control. This fish never really had any personality (and it always thinks my arm hairs are a food source when I gravel vac) so I was not bothered by it being gone (with the heat causing aggression and all in my tank).

Now, I am doing my normal "red light" night time viewing to make sure the cories are getting to the food I toss in there for them and I notice something odd by my bubble counter...at first I think it is a yo-yo loach since they like to hide in/on/around the bubble counter until I see the long stripe on it. The position it was in (right by the tubing) kept it completely invisible unless you were to look at the side of the tank very closely (wish I had a digital camera to take a picture of where I found the fish). It had someone gotten itself stuck behind the bubble counter. I then switched to a standard flashlight to make sure and I saw it try to squirm a bit in an effort to free itself. Well, I pulled the CO2 bubble counter off the back wall to release the guy and he promptly went to a horizontal position (stuck vertical the entire time). Wow, I think it had been back there for atleast a week (it could have fed off the filth that builds up behind the bubble counter...I have to clean back every couple of weeks).

Obviously it appears very stressed with the stripe being barely noticeable (and I was shining a light directly on it in the middle of the night). Hopefully, it will make a nice recovery (check in the morning to see if it hurt itself struggling back there). Atleast I only lost one fish since I started Ich treatment...and that loss had nothing to do with Ich (which is apparently cleared up).

Wow!! That is quite a fish you have! Hopefully, he hangs in there and continues to eat your arm hair :wink:

I have had fish that persistently got stuck behind mine - I don't know what it is about those things. Make sure it has some kind of cave or hidey hole that is available for it, in case it is seeking a small space to hide in. Otherwise, it is probably just one of those things, and boy what a good thing that you were able to get him out!

Once had a swordtail who swam up through the output of an Eclipse filter (yes that tiny thing with water gushing out of it) 6 times and lived thru it all. 8O

One week tho-wow. :eek:

i had a loach that jumped out and stayed alive for over 5 hours. and its still alive. and that happened like 2 weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom