"Amazonian River tank"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been thinking lately about different tanks I can do in the future. Of the many ideas I've come up with I really like the idea of making a tank that simulates a shallow south american river situation. I'm thinking mollies, cories, and my new pleco will be in that tank along with lots of plants, sand, driftwood, etc. Any other ideas?

mollies? whenever people think about SA tanks they think angelfish, discus, neon tetra, cardinal tetra, glowlight tetra, coryadoras, dwarf cichlid, but your idea of mollies is an interesting one :)

Depending on the tank size, you could throw in a school of tetras and dwarf cichlids. I'm not sure if either of those are found in the shallow areas, but they'd be good for a community SA tank, if big enough. :)

What kind of Cories are you thinking? It would be really awesome to have 1 huge school, but I'm sure you want variety. The more you have, the more interesting their behavior gets.

Thanks for the input peeps. I think the tank would be like 29 or a size bigger, and it would have my existing mollies and cories in it, the pleco (I just got him and he's awesome!), and either some angels, or some dwarf cichlids. I have 4 bronze cories so I'd probably get like 5-10 of a new species. I know nothing about cichlids so what kinds would be appropriate for this tank idea? I think the german rams are dwarfs (?) but I hear they are sensitive to pH. Idk. Let me know what kinds would be good.

What kind of pleco did you get? If its one that gets big, then you'll have less room for Cories! :D

That sounds good......if you got like a 30 long or 40g (standard, breeder or long.......not the tall one though) then you could get more Bronze Cories too (they'd be happier).

Some good Dwarf Cichlids are Blue or Gold Rams, Bolivian Rams, and Apistos. If you get tank raised Blue or Gold Rams they should be fine in just about any pH.

I have the kind of pleco that gets big. So now I'm thinking the tank would have the pleco, the mollies, the bronze cories and then I'll get say 6 more bronze cories. I really want to get some rams or apistos now. How many would I want to keep in a 30 long with these other fish?

so, which type of fish u want to focus on ??? corries or mollies ???^^

i'd really suggest u get some more corries and less mollies. ..try taking some peppered corries [C. paleatus] or some C. julii, another 4 wud be sufficient, coz they tend to stick together even from different species, at least that's what they do in my 20 gal long tank. . .and they spawn very often too^^ [4 times from 28th of feb till now].. .

I dont plan to focus on either. I have 8 mollies and they will all be in the tank. I also have 4 cories who will also be in the tank as well as my pleco. From there I plan to buy more cories, and some apistos or rams, and maybe an angelfish or two. We shall have to wait and see. If this is a 50 gallon breeder (or long) will I be able to keep 8 mollies, ~10 cories, a pleco and 2 dwarf cichlids in it? I know the population will rise because of mating, but I'll sell the babies.

yephh. ..now i shud have about 200 fries in my 2gallon cube^^. . ..

owhh. . .owkay then. ..i'd only put 1 angel though, but it's gud to have more anyways . .they're just a bit too territorial to me. .. .GBR or a blue cheek ram wud be great^^. ..I just cant stand their gorgeous colours, hahhaha. . .

If this is a 50 gallon breeder (or long) will I be able to keep 8 mollies, ~10 cories, a pleco and 2 dwarf cichlids in it? I know the population will rise because of mating, but I'll sell the babies.

That would be a good stocking for a 50 breeder or long. You could add an Angel to that as well and possibly a school of something, if you wanted. :)

Back
Top Bottom