Amazonian themed stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfran

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently restocked my 40 gal and was wondering if any y'all had any suggestions to make it even cooler and also to shoot down any of my ideas that are imprudent. Here we go:

Tank: 40 gal regular
Temp: 80 F
Parameters: 0 across the board (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
pH: good question I haven't tested in a while though it typically stays around 7.2 I think
Scape: quartz rocks, conch shells, and pool filter sand
Filtration: 400 GPH
Flora: Anubias, Amazon Sword, melon sword, and two plants I don't know
Fauna: 3 angels, 1 apisto, 3 hatchetfish, 3 Panda Cories

Proposed: 2 rams, 3+ hatchets, 3+ panda cories, more flora

All thoughts welcome

I do indeed have a good cover. The only possible space they could jump out is the little slits for my filters (which I think would be pretty hard, due to the flow of the output) and the tiny hole where my auto feeder drops the food (again not big at all).

Ok so 6-ish pandas would look nice I think. As for the rams, is there a particular breed that is cooler than the others? I might also want to try and breed them (unless you advise against)

As for the rams, is there a particular breed that is cooler than the others? I might also want to try and breed them (unless you advise against)

I haven't kept rams, but the only two species I know of are the German Blue and the Bolivian Ram. The former is gobsmackingly gorgeous, but can be tricky to keep alive. Most aquarists I know recommend starting with the Bolivian Ram, as it's hardier.

I'm wondering if the Apistos and the Rams would fight ?

I know GBR sometimes attack and kill Cories in some set ups.

Pandas like cooler water. GBR like quite warm tanks. Just a thought.

I'd say up your Hatchets, up your Cories, and ask others about mixing dwarf Cichlids.

Your Pandas may not live as long in such warm water. Later you may want to swap to C sterbai.

I'm wondering if the Apistos and the Rams would fight ?

I know GBR sometimes attack and kill Cories in some set ups.

Both can be territorial, so there shold be plenty of room and sight breaks.

Your Pandas may not live as long in such warm water. Later you may want to swap to C sterbai.

You're right, I had forgotten about that. :facepalm:

The thing is I only have one apisto and he's really really old (on his dying days). So him fighting not a problem.

Pandas like cooler water? I thought they were in the 78-80 F range like most other Amazonians. I'll check that out but the ones I have now seem to be thriving.

Again the plan is to up hatchets to 5 or 6, up cories to 9-10, and add a GBR pair

Ok that's fine. I'll drop my temp to 76. I've looked it up with the rest of my stock. And 76 isn't too low for anyone

I take that back. 76 is too low for the rams and the cockatoo (though I'm less worried about him being so old as he is already). I think I will have to keep it high (78-80) and hope the pandas do alright?

Back
Top Bottom