Ammo Lock Argument!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1FatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
Should we ad Ammo Lock after every water change? Ammonia=0.
MY GF insists we ad Ammo Lock along with Stress Coat. I tell her just ad stress coat.
Who is correct?
Thank you all..

Do you have an ammonia problem?

I have never used Ammo-Lock, since even when I used to do fishy cycles I would do water changes to keep the ammonia down, since the bacteria you are trying to grow needs ammonia to grow. It will hamper the cycle. If there is an emergency of some kind where the ammonia is off the hook and water changes that would reduce the ammonia to safe levels would shock the fish, then I could see using it temporarily, but as a rule it is not a part of regular tank maintenance.

Her intentions are good, though, and I am sure there are plenty of people who swear by it.

Products like this do not remove ammonia from the water it only changes it to a less toxic form of ammonia. It also can affect you test equipment giving you false readings. If you are doing water changes there should be no need to use products like that. I mean ammo lock not stress coat.

I wouldn't use stress coat either, get Tetra Dechlorinator or Amquel Plus instead.

I don't trust products that claim to enhance the slime coat. Healthy fishes don't need enhancement, and unheathly fishes...well, it can't be to good for them, either.

Thus begins the Head + Shoulders argument forever making people use things they may not need...

Smart fishkeeper, "You do not need Ammo-Lock, there is no ammonia in the tank"

Other person, "I know! All thanks to Ammo-Lock!"

I also heard you shouldn't use Ammo-Carb for you filter cause it filters out too much ammonia, not allowing the bacteria in the substrate to grow or making it grow slower. Is this true?

Dont use ammo lock. As was described above all it does is convert any toxic ammonia into the non toxic form. I would give you the acutal words but im no good with chemistry stuff to be able to recall the ammonia, ammoniaum? terms.

Most cheap test kits will show a positive reading for the toxic or nontoxic ammonia so adding ammo lock to the tank when you have an ammonia problem will still cause your kits to test positive for ammonia. Many beginner fish keepers will come and post how they have ammonia levels of 5+ but the fish are totally healthy and show no signs of stress. This usually is a result of an ammonia issue early on and the addition of ammo lock or equivlent product and not following that up with proper water changes.

but the tetra dechloronator does help with the slime coat... im using that right now.. or are you talking about another tetra dechloronator?

what everyone is trying to say is that you should rely on the fish nature immune system to fight off deaseases and depend on your water changes weekly in order to control your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates. You only need a dechloronator to treat the replacement water. The one I used and was remarkable before I purchased an R/O Unit was Kordens NOVA AQUA. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Here are my votes. :)

Ammo Lok - I would pretty much never use that product. In a healthy tank it serves no purpose other than to drain your wallet. :wink:

Stress Coat - As I understand it this product actually irritates the fish causing it to build a heavier slime coat. I don't like any product that has to "irritate" my fish to accomplish its goal. Can't be healthy overall imho. What if my fish is already fighting off an infection and I go and irritate it. 8O So yet another product that drains your wallet. :wink:

That's how these products work when they say they "stimulate" or "replace" the slime coating on fish. The chemical irritates the fish and causes it to produce more slime coat as a response. I don't really think that is such a great thing, or necessary, for that matter.

I don't have science to back me up here (plenty of scientists here who might have the hard data) but that is how it has been explained to me.

nah..thats cool.. I just didn't have any other de chlorinator.. so I wanted to make sure before I bail on stress coat...

thanks..
Bites

Back
Top Bottom