Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ld123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anybody know how often I can use this product?

Attachments

• image-3095173808.jpg
    image-3095173808.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 52
What does the bottle say? Or post a pick of the back of the bottle. Why do you need it other than the odvious high ammonia levels? Might be better to fix the problem then to mask the ammonia.

It just says how much it doesn't say how often. I am unsure. It was all ok but now spiked.

Ld123 said:
It just says how much it doesn't say how often. I am unsure. It was all ok but now spiked.

May I ask how your set up. Gallon/liter wise? Fish stock? Filter? Do you see lots of bubbles/foam floating on the top? Water tint? This informational is helpful in pinpointing why you had the spike. I've used a few ammonia away products. I found them to sometime change other water parameters you don't want changed. Normally these issues are an easy fix to avoid future problems.

Yes I have a fluval mini in a 29l tank. It has sponge, carbon and bio rings in. I have 5 guppies, 5 tetras 2 Corys and 2 oto cats.

Water is very slightly cloudy

Ld123 said:
Yes I have a fluval mini in a 29l tank. It has sponge, carbon and bio rings in. I have 5 guppies, 5 tetras 2 Corys and 2 oto cats.

Water is very slightly cloudy

Thanks for the info.

First thing, IMO, your are pretty overstocked. A 29l is fairly small for the amount of fish you have. One thing I've noticed is people sometimes get offended when they here that. You really should do some research on bio load. Bio load is basically the stress put on the aquariums Eco system threw ammonia and other parameters. To take a deeper look at this I want you to consider volume. Without knowing what kind of decorations you have in the aquarium, you need to consider the volume that is taken up by your fluval mini. Essentially you don't not have 29l of water, more like 26l or maybe 27l.

Second issue is with the fish themselves. It is a good feeling to have a stable tank for a while and become confident an issue cannot arise. However, as time goes by, fish tend to change wether that is in size or diet requirements. As these things change, aquariums can quickly become unstable and be painful to both you and your fish. Please don't think because it has been fine for a while that it's impossible for problems to arise.

I found with products like ammonia clarifiers, they just mask the issue, but it will never truly go away until you fix the core of the problem. Just out of curiosity, what are your water change/filter change schedules?

How many fish would you suggest?

I change 25-30% weekly. Been doing more to try and lower ammonia levels.

I understand problems arise.

Ld123 said:
How many fish would you suggest?

I change 25-30% weekly. Been doing more to try and lower ammonia levels.

I understand problems arise.

Well, you would significantly lower your bio load if you returned the tetra's. Or mix a few tetras with guppies. Another thing is having 4 cats is a little wild. Maybe consider returning two of them. You will lose some of the vibrancy of your aquarium, but you'll gain a healthy aquarium and it will be better with maintenance.

Ok so if I reduced my bio load by re homing some fish what would be the next step?

I have 5 guppies, 5 tetras 2 Corys and 2 oto cats.

This tank is 7.66 US gallons. That's pretty small.

You need to rehome the tetras, the corys and the otos. The guppies will probably work out.

It's pretty crucial that you research your species PRIOR to purchase.

What exactly are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

If you have ammonia readings, you must do daily water changes, 50%.

How long has the tank been up and running?

How often are you doing water changes?

LyndaB said:
This tank is 7.66 US gallons. That's pretty small.

You need to rehome the tetras, the corys and the otos. The guppies will probably work out.

It's pretty crucial that you research your species PRIOR to purchase.

What exactly are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

If you have ammonia readings, you must do daily water changes, 50%.

How long has the tank been up and running?

How often are you doing water changes?

I would listen to LyndaB, she knows her stuff

Hi,

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 0.5
Nirtrite 0
PH 7.5

water changes regularly at the moment to try and get ammonia down

I had long in depth coversations with staff before buying any of my fish!

It has been running approx 7 weeks

I had long in depth coversations with staff before buying any of my fish!

Oh, if I had a nickle for every member here who's been given horrible advice...... those mega millions winners would have nothing on me! ;)

You were given bad advice and the store made a profit off of you.

You should rehome the list that I gave you. We're all trying to help you have a great fishkeeping experience. The only profit for us is if you end up with happy and healthy fish and you're enjoying yourself.

This is true!

I have re-homed the tetras today but u think I should re-home more?

I'm surprised those otos are alive with those readings :/

Also make sure if you keep the guppies they're only MALE
Or you'll be over stocked in no time

Ld123 said:
This is true!

I have re-homed the tetras today but u think I should re-home more?

Yes the cories & otos
Cories need a group of 5+
& otos are very sensitive to unstable water parameters

Yeah they all seem happy, not lost any at all!
what shoule my readings be for otos?

Back
Top Bottom