Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ld123

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ammonia is very slightly high. 0.25. Why could this be?

Chlorine or chloramines can give an ammonia reading before the BB convert it.

Are you talking about in your tank?
Or from your tap?

When you perform PWC's it can take a few days for the BB to convert the chlorine/chloramine. So you could be getting a reading from that.

Other than that you could have a dead occupant somewhere or you could be over feeding or your filter may not be adequate for your tank.

Jon

Yes I am referring to my tank, sorry I didn't make that very clear.

I did a water change on Thurs of this week?

I have looked around for any dead occupants, however I can not find any and no fish seem to be missing?!

I feed every three days so I don't think this would be the issue, also I have a Fluval U2 and a Fluval Mini running in a 90L tank?

Yes, I used old filter alongside new filter and it cycled fairly quickly

I have added a plec and 3 silver mollies around a week ago but that is all

The extra bio-load is probably the culprit.

Keep an eye on it but it's more than likely the BB hasn't increased to fully handle the extra waste.

Jon

Yes. The BB should increase to take the extra bio-load. As long as you aren't overstocked already.

Jon

I have a 90L with 8 endler livebearers, 3 mollies, 3 platies, 5 male guppies, 6 cardinal tetra, 5 lamp eyes, 3 corys and a clown plec?

Ld123 said:
I have a 90L with 8 endler livebearers, 3 mollies, 3 platies, 5 male guppies, 6 cardinal tetra, 5 lamp eyes, 3 corys and a clown plec?

And what filtration are you using?

That seems like quite a lot for a 90L.

Jon

apart from mollies, platies and plec fish do not exceed 1.5" long

How often do you perform PWC's?

It seems like a lot of fish to me for only 90 litres. This could be the reason your getting ammonia along with the filters.

Someone with more experience of your species should chime in soon.

It could be the bio-load is too great for the filters to handle.

But then it could just be the BB hasn't caught up with the extra bio-load yet.

Jon

the Fluval U2 is supposed to handle a 110L and the mini 45L so hopefully the filters are enough.

Ld123 said:
the Fluval U2 is supposed to handle a 110L and the mini 45L so hopefully the filters are enough.

The 2 combined should be fine as long as you're not overstocked.

I run a Fluval 206 canister and a U2 on my 200L tank.

But I have a minimal stocked tank.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom