Ammonia after end of cycle PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had finished my cycle with readings of ammonia- 0ppm, nitrite- 0ppm and nitrates-10ppm (nirates never went higher than 10ppm)
So then i got told to do a pwc to finish things up, so i did 80% and i also changed my gravel to sand in the process. I took out my filter media and put it in some of the tank water because i was worried it would dry out and cause the bacteria to die.
I put everything back together and i added about 4ppm of ammonia because i am not getting fish yet.
I woke up this morning and ammonia is 1ppm.
My tank used to cycle ammonia from 5ppm to 0ppm within 24 hours.
Do i have to start again?

Not really. It sounds like you may have lost some of your beneficial bacteria that was in the substrate, as well as some that was in the filter media (which is normal when removing to clean). Dose up to 4ppm of ammonia again and recheck your readings. You may need a few more days before you are at full BB strength again.

Not really. It sounds like you may have lost some of your beneficial bacteria that was in the substrate, as well as some that was in the filter media (which is normal when removing to clean). Dose up to 4ppm of ammonia again and recheck your readings. You may need a few more days before you are at full BB strength again.

Okay thanks.
Do you know if its normal to gave only 10ppm of nitrate s because most people get over 60ppm when they finish cycling

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Every tank is different. Plants for example, suck up nitrates too. If you have a heavily planted tank you could experience lower nitrate levels. Also, since a fishless cycle is more controlled you would probably see fewer nitrates as opposed to a fish-in cycle where there is way more ammonia and nitrites to convert I think you are okay.

Every tank is different. Plants for example, suck up nitrates too. If you have a heavily planted tank you could experience lower nitrate levels. Also, since a fishless cycle is more controlled you would probably see fewer nitrates as opposed to a fish-in cycle where there is way more ammonia and nitrites to convert I think you are okay.

Okay, well that makes sense seeming as I have lots of plants in my tank.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom