Ammonia and nitrite problems.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monsweet

Aquarium Advice Regular
We set up our 240 litre tank over two weeks ago using the water from our old tank 125l. New fluval u3 filter. We had to add our fish straight away so didn't get a chance to cycle it but our local fish shop said it will be fine. But now over the last 3 days we have had ammonia 2ppm so we treated it over 3 days and now it's down to 0ppm but the nitrite has shot up to 5ppm!what can we do? Or do we leave it run it's course? Also what should the level of nitrate be?? Yesterday ours was 20. We have cichlids in our tank? Advice much appreciated :)

Your lfs is giving you horrid advice.

Do lots of 50% water changes to bring that ammonia down. What happened to the old filter?

Your fish are living in a toxic environment and will survive only if you devote lots of time and energy to keeping their tank levels reasonable.

Ultimately, you want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and <20 nitrates.

Well sorry forgot to say when tested today the ammonia is now 0ppm so it's just the nitrites. Over the last few days every night we have changed 2/3 buckets (10 litre bucket) we did it last night but the nitrite only came down a touch and it's back up today. Do we keep changing water every night or every other?? We aren't sure how often as don't want to make things worse???

Do lots of 50% water changes to bring that ammonia down.

What happened to the old filter?

Nitrites are toxic.

Your water changes are not enough. 50% daily, at least.

You might want to consider getting a python water changer or the like. The bucket thing's going to get really old, really quick.

Sorry the old filter went with the tank, we to use a python. We did have the old filter pads in the tank for a week too.

Sorry the old filter went with the tank, we to use a python. We did have the old filter pads in the tank for a week too.

Then what did you do with the old filter pads? It would've been best to keep them alongside the new filter media for about a month, at least, to cycle the tank seamlessly.

Just curious. In your opening post, you stated that you treated the high ammonia for 3 days, which brought it down to 0. What did you use to treat it with? Or did you just do water changes?

We did water changes and also added the cycle that changes toxic ammonia to non toxic. Just did another water change, tested everything the nitrite is down to 0.25ppm and ammonia is 0ppm ph 7.2ppm and nitrate 10ppm. So do we do more changes every day till the nitrite is at 0ppm??

The water changes themselves aren't going to completely 0 out your ammonia or nitrite (it might get it close, but won't stay there for long). That's what the completed nitrification cycle does. I wouldn't add any products that promise to reduce nitrites or ammonia, just stick with water changes and dechlorinator.

So, I would monitor the levels daily, and when either ammonia or nitrite reach .25ppm or higher, I'd do a water change. This info and more is in that link above that Scouser provided to you (I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!)

Hope that helps, and good luck! :)

Yep, just do daily (or more if needed) water changes. I had an established tank go completely out of wack and essentially went through a fish-in cycle all over again - I just did daily 50% -60% water changes for about 10 days and all is well now. It takes persistence but it will work!

Back
Top Bottom