ammonia for cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have begun cycling my tank with Shoprite clear ammonia, the label just says ammonium hydroxide, and i believed this to be the correct stuff. I have added about 30ml to my 75 gallon tank so far. I have recently read that if the bottle bubbles when shaken, it is bad to use. Well, sure enough it bubbles and foams when shaken. What can I do to remedy this? I have only added a very small amount to a 75g tank so far, so I really hope I dont need to tear down and scrub everything.

Hey! I've added no more than 30 ml. I'm hoping a 75 percent water change would be enough. I'll go to ace hardware and get the right stuff. Just hoping I don't need to scrub everything or something like that. 30 mL of ammonia with only a very small percent of detergent or surfactant that would cause the bubbles in a 75g tanks would be a VERY small ppm.

Do the bubble immediately go away? Any liquid you shake will get some bubbles. If a froth forms and takes a minute to dissolve, than it has detergent in it. As long as it doesn't say it has sufficants(spelling?) it should be alright. I couldn't find any pure ammonia so I used smelling salts. The stuff you hold under a persons nose when they faint. It had ammonia and alcohol listed but it never caused any problems in my tank.

Nioe., unfortunately its a frothy bubbling that doesn't go away even several minutes later. There is definitely some sort of detergent in there even though it only has ammonium hydroxide listed under ingredients.

Nioe., unfortunately its a frothy bubbling that doesn't go away even several minutes later. There is definitely some sort of detergent in there even though it only has ammonium hydroxide listed under ingredients.

Yeah, that can happen. I have heard of it before. Finding pure ammonia can be a headache.
Well, it is your tank. Since you didn't add too much, you might be fine to just keep going. Personally, I would still drain it and rinse as much as possible to avoid any potential issues. I probably wouldn't tear it all apart and scrub it, but I would do my best to rinse stuff. I tend to agree that it won't be enough to hurt much, but better safe than sorry I suppose. I assume that you don't see any of the froth when you add water to the tank right now. right?

No froth in the tank. Only in the bottle when I shake it. The tank seems fine, although even though the ammonia levels seem to drop from day to day, I have yet to see any nitrites/ates. Anyway, I think I'll do a 75 percent water change now and then cycle again. If the tank cycles and can have the bacteria thrive enough, I'm sure it will be OK for fish. I'll likely do another large water change before adding the fish too.

I would do what you already suggested (super big water change), and then maybe also add some carbon in the filter somewhere to pick up any surfactants that you missed. I think with that it will be fine if you do those things.

Ace hardware sells the janitorial strength pure ammonia. It's good stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom