Ammonia from walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xand3r

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I'm going to cycle a new tank for my P. demasoni and I was wondering if it was ok to use ammonia from walmart. I will be adding media from my other tanks to speed up the cycle, but since I have never bought ammonia before I don't know where to get it. I went to ace hardware today but they did not have pure ammonia.

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1456367555.jpg
    image-1456367555.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 89
Well that's the thing in the ingredients it says that it has Ammonium hydroxide (which is just ammonia) and surfactant. So I guess that the real question is, will the surfactant cause any harm or is it just something common in the other brands of ammonia?

I was about the use the walmart ammonia too but it can't have sufactants in it according to eco23's guide.

Yeah, surfactants will kill your fish. A good test is to shake the bottle, and if any bubbles last more then one or two seconds then it's bad bad mojo.

I ended up getting mine at 14% pure from a Janitorial Warehouse store.

librarygirl: No, they didn't have pure ammonia. I'm going to try a different store tomorrow, at least now I know what it looks like.

Deep Seven: Yeah I knew about the bubbles the reason why I decided to ask first was because when I tried it didn't make any.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom