Ammonia help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjtaylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have had a 90g tank set up for months now, I originally used seeded media and had it sitting on 0ammonia, 0 nitrites and low nitrates, with 2 juvenile bristlenose plecos, a red tail shark and 10 neons. I have since added 4 2.5inch clown loaches and have had off the charts ammonia since. Iv had these fish in there for almost 2 months now and the ammonia is just no going down. I had just a basic juwel aquarium filter that came with the tank at first but have now added a Aquaone nautilus 1400.

No over the past couple of months I have been using API ammo lock as well as 50% water changes to trying and help with the issue. But the strange thing is, if I don't add ammo lock my fish seem fine, no fast breathing, fairly active and happy, but when I add ammo lock the fish begin to swim at the top of tank and gasp for air. Is it possible I'm having false reading some how? Any advice? I woul have thought that with off the chart readings the fish would all be long dead.
I know it's a long but no one ever seems to add enough detail lol

What test kit are you using?
Is it out of date?
Can you take your water to be tested at your LFS?
Have you replaced any filter media?
Are you using dechlorinator?

Ahh I new I would forget some details, ok using API freshwater master kit to test, from what I could understand from the bottles they where made last year and don't expire for about 4 years correct? When doing a water change I use prime. I was using API water conditioner when the problem first appeared but returned to prime for the last month or so.

do you add a whole tanks volume worth, then add the water to the tank+prime water?

generally adding other chemicals besides conditioner and prime, can have adverse effects on your tank

Back
Top Bottom