Ammonia in my tap water - Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandemat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been trying to dilute/fix ammonia levels @ 1.0 by doing water changes as directed by any Forum member or Fish Tank 101 guides. My levels would get better then I would do a weekly water change and it went up again.

I finally found why my ammonia got worse after water changes. I tested my Tap Water and it reads a solid 1.0 ammonia level tested many times with same results. I live in North Dallas Suburb and looks like the water treatment does add ammonia.

I stopped doing water changes and my levels in the Tank go down. What would you suggest for my situation so I can reduce it even further or for performing weekly water changes? Bottled Water?, ROI Water, 50/50 mix of Tap and bottled?

Any help would be great please?

Matt

I had the same thing about 5 years ago. Ammonia 1.0 ppm and nitrate 5 ppm out of the tap. The biofilter was mature. When I did smaller weekly water changes (25%), the ammonia levels stayed near zero. One day I forgot about the water situation and did a 75% WC. The next day I read 0.5 ammonia and 1.0 nitrite. The water situation suddenly cleared up in the spring.
I would continue to do water changes but limit the amount you change until conditions improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Smaller, frequent water changes or larger changes every other week with some extra seachem prime in the mix.

Alternatively use purified water of some sort and cut your tap water with it. Don't use straight purified water unless you add minerals back to it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used to use bottle spring water back in the day. Had minerals and no chlorine. I would still dechlorinate though lol.

Bottled water can be very helpful.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom