Ammonia in tap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know people do water changes to get rid of ammonia but what if your tap that you change water is pretty high in ammonia? Here's a pic of my tap ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389897256.559257.jpg

I know to use things such as prime and other dechlorinators but that won't get rid of it all

Have you tested multiple time to confirm your findings? Be sure to shake vigorously for 15 seconds and allow 5 minutes for the color to develop.

If you've really got that much ammonia, I'd invest in a reverse osmosis filtration system for your entire home. You could also look into further testing to see if the ammonia in your water is free ammonia or not. That will cost some extra $$ to either get the kit or pay to have it tested.

Yep I did it twice last night and just this morning. Added 8 drops of each and shook as indicated.

I was always wondering why my water would have a little spike in ammonia after water changes I don't know why I barely thought of testing the tap. I'll be moving in a few months or I would invest in RO or other filtration. Here's my tank water after a change ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389902052.745303.jpg

Yep I did it twice last night and just this morning. Added 8 drops of each and shook as indicated.

I was always wondering why my water would have a little spike in ammonia after water changes I don't know why I barely thought of testing the tap. I'll be moving in a few months or I would invest in RO or other filtration. Here's my tank water after a change View attachment 217001

If the ammonia drops to 0 overnight, I wouldn't worry too much about it since you're moving.

yuck I would invest in a britta or buy bottled until you move, for yourself that is. Dont know what to say about the fish. I guess I would wait it out. I am nervous to test my tap now.

I was always the type of person to think drinking tap was fine too. Hopefully my new house will have better tap. For now I think I will mix it at least with those 5 gallon refills by grocery stores when I do water changes but that won't be that bad since I only have a 20 gallon. It's going to be a pain once I upgrade to a 40g.

yuck I would invest in a britta or buy bottled until you move, for yourself that is. Dont know what to say about the fish. I guess I would wait it out. I am nervous to test my tap now.

It could easily be that his tap contains ammonium ion, rather than free (toxic) ammonia.

That level of ammonia is really nothing to worry about. Even a 50% change will put the ammonia at .25ppm which is perfectly safe for fish and will he quickly removed with the bio filter.

Back
Top Bottom