ammonia in tap water and conditioned water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimi9000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have a 5 gallon betta tank that's been cycled for about 10 months now. 1 betta, 1 mossball, 1 anubias plant, 1 ornament, gravel.

I have been using Indian Almond leaves for about 7 mos because I think my fish has lymphocystis.

A few months, ago I tested my tap water for ammonia and it registered between 0 and. 25. I use the API kit.

Today I tested the tap water for ammonia and to my surprise it registered at .5. I also tested water that I'd conditioned with Prime 2 days ago, and that was also .5.

What could be causing this? Is it unusual for tap water to suddenly have ammonia in it? I also don't understand why water that has been treated with Prime would have ammonia.

My aquarium water tested somewhere between 0 and .25 for ammonia, but that's about what it usually is.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks!

Prime does not remove ammonia. It only binds it into a non-threatening form. After a couple says that bind breaks down, but it will always show up in your test.

At least that's my understanding.

Thanks for the reply! So it's safe to use the conditioned water even it's showing an ammonia level of .5?

Yup, mine is comes out at .5 at the moment.
After a water change you will get a ammonia reading but give it over night and your bacteria would of converted it already.

I have the same exact problem with my tap it is .5 I always get an ammonia spike after pwc's which is ironic to me because people do water changes to get rid of ammonia. What I do is mix the water with water from one of those purified dispensers in front of grocery stores because it is pretty neutral. But as stated above give it over night or a few days and your cycled tank should rid it of most of the ammonia.

Ammonia in the tap ? Bad thing !!! If your cycle is strong, then the ammonia should break down to nitrates fast...

+1 for cutting tap water with grocery purified water.

What is your ph in the tank? Also what is the ammonia reading on your tap water?

If your ph is 6.5 or lower biological activity slows and if ph is 6 or lower biological activity stops and BB begins to die off. If you have a very low ph you will have ammonia present in the tank as there is little or no BB to convert it.

Thanks for the replies!

PH is 7.6, which is standard for me. Tap water ammonia is .5.

As of this morning, tank water is...

Ammonia: between 0 and .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10

I treated some water with Prime last night and the ammonia is .25. I can't bring myself to pour it into the tank, knowing ammonia is in it! Good tip on the grocery store dispensers -- will give that a try.

I'm going to call the water dept as well to see if they can explain why ammonia is suddenly present in the tap water.

+1 to call water station, but I think it's ok to add your tap into your tank. Ammonia should break down fast. What's about your nitrates ?

Hi Mr. Vincent,

Thanks for your reply! Nitrates are at 10.

Water company isn't open today because of MLK Day, will call tomorrow.

Just tested the water from my fridge dispenser and it's marginally better (.25 ammonia). I can never seem to get the tank to 0 ammonia, the API test always look a little green to me.

This might explain why my fish constantly seems to have problems with his fins, hmmm...

Call the facility and cry on the phone: YOUR WATER IS SOO BAD THAT I WON'T GIVE IT TO MY FISHS !!! IMAGINE FOR ME

Ha! I should call them and do just that. The water dept DID say they're open today for emergencies ...

Now I don't want to drink the water coming from my tap, ewww!

Back
Top Bottom