Ammonia is very high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add a double dose of Prime. That'll bind the ammonia for 48 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
something is causing the ammonia the only way to really get rid of it is do water changes and find out what it is ie dead fish or over feeding.

It's probably 1 of 3 things.

1. dead fish that's decaying

2. Uncycled tank trying to fish in cycle

3. Ammonia from the tap.

Caleb

Thanks, I will cut down on my food.

I think it might be the cycling thing. I might try working on that. Since I know nothing dead is in the tank.

Ammonia changes to Nitrite to Nitrate via Oxidation ..Right ?

Via bacteria (I think it's reduced instead of oxidized, but that's a big tangent). How old is the tank, size, and stock? Filtration, ammonia reading and test type are all very helpful details.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ammonia-to-nitrite and nitrite-to-nitrate are oxidation reactions. I'm not a microbiologist, but would assume that the bacteria carry out these processes via enzymes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Microorganisms that can fix nitrogen can be known as prokaryotes better known as diazotrophs. All biological nitrogen fixation is achieved by means of nitrogenase metalo-enzymes (nice PNW) which contain vanadium, iron, or molybdenum.

I would do 2 50% pwc using Prime and as you mentioned, reduce feeding some and read up on the process.

Do not replace the filter pads in your filter. Rinse them when doing maintenance with pwc water and then can rinse with new treated (Prime) water. Rinsing them in tap water has chlorine and other stuff to kill the BB (beneficial bacteria) once growing in the filter media.

Read up on the articles section here on AA, my signature has a helpful read link and then here, for fish in cycle...

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Thanks all ..

To answer some of the questions asked (please let me know if I missed something)

This tank is 150 Gal.
It has been runnig for around year.
Two Turtles and Oscar ( I know turtles are messy , however I have these guys with my Oscar for nearly 4 years. Ammonia has NEVER been this high.)
I have caseade rated for the 200 Gal . I did have the Sun SUn filter but that messed up on me and that is where this issues started.

I have something called Clarity by the same people that do prime ? Is that the same thing or do I need PRIME ?

Thanks all ..

To answer some of the questions asked (please let me know if I missed something)

This tank is 150 Gal.
It has been runnig for around year.
Two Turtles and Oscar ( I know turtles are messy , however I have these guys with my Oscar for nearly 4 years. Ammonia has NEVER been this high.)
I have caseade rated for the 200 Gal . I did have the Sun SUn filter but that messed up on me and that is where this issues started.

I have something called Clarity by the same people that do prime ? Is that the same thing or do I need PRIME ?

You need prime and a new filter immediately. This sounds like a simple lack of filtration due to your Sun Sun going down.

This is a new filter so I have needed to clean the pads fully yet.

And I got a Caseade do they stink or something , should I get something else ? I was thinking of getting a smaller in tank filter for extra filtration ?

----

Sorry is this is dumb, but I have tanks that or working normally. How about if I put that water into my filter, would they get things running normally.

I don't want to have to give him away. But he doesn't have any place to live. I don't know how long I can keep in him small tank before that makes him sick. Just super bummed about the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a new filter so I have needed to clean the pads fully yet.

And I got a Caseade do they stink or something , should I get something else ? I was thinking of getting a smaller in tank filter for extra filtration ?

----

Sorry is this is dumb, but I have tanks that or working normally. How about if I putt that water into my filter, would they get things running normally.

I don't want to have to give him away. But he doesn't have any place to live. I don't know how long I can keep in him small tank before that makes him stick. Just super bummed about the situaiton.

You could use sponges from established tanks to alleviate the mini cycle you're experiencing. The problem sounds like your new filter isn't cycled so you need to cycle it somehow. Either by fish-in cycling with lots of water changes or using media from another filter.

I think this can all be cleared up by adding extra filtration and ensuring the tank is cycled.

I have a Cascade 1000 on my 75g. Great filters but you gotta clean them monthly at least.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom