Ammonia Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As of today, I feel your pain. Got off work and noticed a green cloudy tank, tested water and I am 4 NH4, 0 NO2, 0 NO3. This happened in 1 day..Now the fun begins, 55G tank with a 5 gallon bucket. I don't get my autofiller until tomorrow, but have to know with a spike that high.

One odd thing, the fish don't seem stressed. I know with those numbers I still need to get it down. I guess the Ammo Lock is doing what it has to, for temp relief.

On my big tank I did a fishLESS cycle and I used the angels plus filter there too. That tank cycled much faster! Started jan 21 and was cycled on February 16!

So today (Monday) here are my readings:

Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 0

My ammonia is now going down and nitrite is more and more apparent. I think that is a good thing so I am excited. Roughly how long does the nitrite stage last? Also how often do I need to do water changes here? My last change was Sunday

You are ok for now. Check it tomorrow and probably change it would be my guess. Patience and diligence in checking are key here.

I think I was told that it may take longer... Not sure. At some point in here I got desperate and added the angels filter

Okay so here is a curve ball. Here are the readings today:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm (maybe 2.5 ppm)

What does this mean? Also it has now been cycling 4 weeks.

No the last one was Sunday I believe. At first I thought I was done cycling but I thought I need Nitrates to be done?

Keep checking it, if your nitrates steadily rise and ammonia and nitrite stay 0 for several days, you're likely done. You need to keep an eye on it though, just because you are cycled, doesn't mean your cycle is extremely stable. Add long as you keep balance you should be fine though.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since nitrates are the end result of the cycle, I would think you'll always have nitrates readings, especially once you put fish in.

Okay so I read you need to beat the crap out of nitrate bottle #2 and I did that and the nitrates are there. It is reading at between 5 and 10 ppm. Sorry! False alarm!

I have read all of the great comments and just wanted to add a few things. When cleaning filters, use the old aquarium water so that you do not kill the good bacteria. 20-30% water changes should suffice any more you risk killing all of the good bacteria. I also recommend Prime when doing water changes. Having read this makes me wish that sites like this existed 40 years ago when i first started my hobby. A tip for a future tank set up without having to go through the cycle is to add a new filer(s) to your existing tank in addition to the existing tank and let them build up bacteria. Once the filter is established do a 30% water change, clean the new filter and pour everything into the new tank, including the dirty filter water. Your tank will be cycled quick and you may add fish in a few days, just do a water change before hand. I have 8 aquariums and only cycled the first fishless.
Fish are supposed to be a stress release and you will get there.

Enjoy the hobby.

I have read all of the great comments and just wanted to add a few things. When cleaning filters, use the old aquarium water so that you do not kill the good bacteria. 20-30% water changes should suffice any more you risk killing all of the good bacteria. I also recommend Prime when doing water changes. Having read this makes me wish that sites like this existed 40 years ago when i first started my hobby. A tip for a future tank set up without having to go through the cycle is to add a new filer(s) to your existing tank in addition to the existing tank and let them build up bacteria. Once the filter is established do a 30% water change, clean the new filter and pour everything into the new tank, including the dirty filter water. Your tank will be cycled quick and you may add fish in a few days, just do a water change before hand. I have 8 aquariums and only cycled the first fishless.
Fish are supposed to be a stress release and you will get there.

Enjoy the hobby.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Back
Top Bottom