Ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartosbartos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys so what's going on is I had to move houses today and the idiot I am I didn't check the tap water before I tipped out all the good fish tank water.
So now my problem is I have high ammonia 1 ppm to 1.5 in the tap water. I have put my fish in new water in a 20l bucket for now with no ammonia in the water. As for my main tank iv dosed it with prime. Easy life and complete water treatment trying to get it back under control. This tank has been set up for 6 months or so well established. I am going away for a week I'm getting good ole mum to keep checking the water for me to see if it keeps dropping while I'm away. So please help me lol ! The ammonia has slightly dropped to 0.50 ish at the moment but I'm still worried. Thanks heaps guys

Cartosbartos said:
Hey guys so what's going on is I had to move houses today and the idiot I am I didn't check the tap water before I tipped out all the good fish tank water.
So now my problem is I have high ammonia 1 ppm to 1.5 in the tap water. I have put my fish in new water in a 20l bucket for now with no ammonia in the water. As for my main tank iv dosed it with prime. Easy life and complete water treatment trying to get it back under control. This tank has been set up for 6 months or so well established. I am going away for a week I'm getting good ole mum to keep checking the water for me to see if it keeps dropping while I'm away. So please help me lol ! The ammonia has slightly dropped to 0.50 ish at the moment but I'm still worried. Thanks heaps guys

If u are using prime. U shouldn't worry that much. Prime makes ur ammonia harmless against livestock while still useable by bacteria and plants. Ur API liquid test kit will still be able to pick up these ammonia so don't get paranoid. But **** 1ppm ammonia in ur tap crazy.

Yeah man it's crazy 1.5 ppm ammonia in the drinking water. The fish mainly the loaches were starting to change colour and just act odd so I decided to evacuate the tank lol.

ipswich australia there was a massive flood here not long ago so it could be that im guessing.

hey guys just an update on the ammonia problem got a call today that the water in the 20L bucket i had them in was looking murky ( i could not see it as im currently 800kms away from the tank so i got them all put back into the main tank which i was told the ammonia level had dropped a bit but once again mum was checking and that reading could be out quite a fair amount lol. the angel fish was sick in the bucket and died shortly after being put in the tank. I cannot get any tests done or anything, im quite peeved off at the moment cause im helpless and i cant get ahold of fresh clean water anyway if i was there. As i said above iv triple dosed with prime, iv used water conditioner im running out of options

Back
Top Bottom