Ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayaroz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I'm new here and looking for some good advice on my freshwater community tank. My problem is a high level of ammonia that I can't seem to get down.
My tank layout is: 10 gallon tank equipped with a Tetra filter, Tetra underwater heater, air stone, and thermometer. Substrate is sand with a few pebbles scattered around. I have three medium sized plastic plants, a hollow boat with places to hide, a small cave, a small hollow castle (also with hidey holes), and a small treasure chest.

Tank Population: 3 Buenos Aires Tetra, 2 Pristella Tetra, and 3 Corydoras Catfish.

Feeding: I give the corys 2 sinking wafers per day (the Buenos Tetra seem to like these too), a couple pinches of TetraMinplus Tropical Flakes 2 times a day every other day (e.g. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, etc.), and frozen brine/mysis shrimp 1 time a day every other day (e.g. Monday/Wednesday/Friday evenings. I also give them some chopped up frozen peas on Sundays.

I cycled the tank using a cycling and water conditioning kit when I first started setting up the aquarium so as far as I know it is cycled.

Using a test strip the results read: Nitrate-20, Nitrite-0.5, pH-7.5, Alkalinity-around 80-120, and Hardness-around 60-120.

The ammonia level is a deep green reading at a high 4.0-8.0 ppm ammonia level.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this problem such as: less food, cleaning the tank of any waste or uneaten food, every other day 25% water changes with 2 teaspoons of AmmoniaSafe and a few drops of AquaSafeplus (I have even tried a 50% water change). According to the instructions I wait a full 24 hours before checking the ammonia levels with my ammonia test solutions. I have even bought a brand new ammonia test kit with the same results (I wondered if my other kit was too old and maybe giving false positives). I have tried these methods for over a month. Despite my concerns my fish appear healthy and show no signs of Ammonia toxicity symptoms, but I know it's only a matter of time. I'm starting to wonder if my tank is overstocked as that is the only other explanation I can think of.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about this kind of problem and how to fix it please post it! I am very concerned for my fish and would love some advice. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/Thanx.gif

What size filter are you using? Are you doing anything to maintain the filter (ie changing out the filter media)? If so, do not do that as the filter media is where your bacteria grow and multiply.

You could be overstocked or not, depending on the level of filtration you are providing. For a 10 gallon tank you need a 20 filter rated for 20 gallons. That gives you plenty of margin for error and provides a substantial buffer in your filter capacity. I find Aquaclears to be the best and you can get by with the AC20 (or Mini as it is called now) with this tank. That's what i run on my 10 gallon.

Also keep in mind that ammonia safe product detoxify free ammonia by oxidizing it to ammonium compounds, which are no where near as toxic but still give a positive test for ammonia, so that could be what you are seeing. The pH of your tank is also related to how much free ammonia is present in the tank as well, higher pHs tend to have more free ammonia from the disassociation of the ammonium ions.

Your best fix is to get an API test kit, test frequently and change your water accordingly.Also make sure your filter is up to snuff.

RE: Ammonia Advice

From you advice I don't think my filter is big enough; I looked and it said "10" on the filter top. I'm gonna run to the store today and get a larger filter. I also checked my testing kit and I think I have the one you suggested already. It says "API Ammonia NH3/NH4+ Test Kit". I also have "API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips". Thank you so much for your advice! I have a feeling this is going to help a lot! I'll post a status report soon. :thanks:

As already asked how old is your tank? Did you cycle it, fish in or fishless? Nitrites usually only appear in a cycling tank or if they are in your tap water? How much water do you change out weekly? Nitrites should be kept down and anytime they reach .25ppm a 50% WC should be done. One other thing is your cory's don't need 2 algae wafers daily. I only add 3 in my 220g tank with a lot of fish. They can really be a problem when too many are used daily.

In my limited experience, overdoing it even a little with algae wafers in a small tank sends the ammonia sky high ...

Update

Ok, so a couple weeks ago I purchased a 20 gallon tank filter for my 10 gallon tank. On a sadder note, while I as setting up the new filter I noticed that one of my Pristella Tetra had died. Whether or not this was do to the Ammonia levels I'm not certain although I'm sure it had an influence. I made sure to remove this fish right away so it would not add to the Ammonia levels anymore.

So, now my plan is to continue doing 25% water changes and adding AmmoniaSafe every few day until Ammonia levels have dropped. As of now I am reducing the sinking pellets to 1 per day. I will also make sure that I wait a full 24 hours or more after AmmoniaSafe is added so I don't get a false positive on my test kit.

Hopefully, with the new filter, reduced pellets, and continued water changes and treatment. The Ammonia level will go down. Thank you all for your advice! It gives me a lot of hope that the Ammonia will go down. :thanks:

Ammonia is Down!!!

Great news! After purchasing a 20 gallon aquarium, and testing the Ammonia a few days later, the Ammonia is officially at 0 ppm! Things have been going so well that I even bought two more Pristella Tetra for my one lonely Pristella Tetra. Weeks have gone by and the Ammonia is still 0ppm! Thanks to everyone who gave all the helpful advice! :thanks: I am happy to say that this post is closed!:D

Back
Top Bottom