Ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishparent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

New joiner and have done some searching around. 36G fresh water artificial planted tank, 5 Aussie rainbows, 2 mollies, 1 GBR. Been battling an ammonia problem for a couple weeks now. Ammonia gets as high as 2-4PPM, 0PPm of nitrites, and 5-10ppm of nitrates(which is new, about 2 months ago use to be 0-5ppm). PH has recently decreased to less than 6 as well-using PH up to counter this. When starting the tank took 6-7 weeks to cycle and had no problems for 4-5 months then lately in the last 2 months have had this problem. I do 15%-25% water change weekly to try and keep the ammonia down/controlled. Using a Nitra-Zorb packet to help get the cycle back in check but not working, so started using ammo-lock with it as well. No luck. Conditioning the water every time its changed which I know can also have ammonia in it as well and convert to ammonia. Treat water with stress coat and quick start as well.

Any ideas on what else to do or am I missing a simple step somewhere? Is doing a fish in cycle the only answer left after all this? I appreciate all the help!

You arent doing anywhere near enough water changes given your ammonia levels. You need that below 0.5ppm. From a level of 2ppm that would take 2 x 50% water changes.

What may be happening is your carbonate hardness may be very low. The effect of this is twofold. Your pH will crash as there is no buffering. Your cycle will stop as it is reliant on KH. You have seen both of these. The small, infrequent water changes you are doing isnt enough to either control the ammonia or replenish the KH in the tank.

On the plus side, the low pH is all thats keeping your fish alive. Ammonia toxicity is dependant on pH and temperature. With such low pH your ammonia is essentially non-toxic.

Stop with the pH controlling chemicals, they do more harm than good. In your case if suddenly they take effect it could kill your fish because the ammonia you are seeing would suddenly become toxic. Get some fresh water in the tank, get the ammonia back down, keep up with water changes to control ammonia and nitrite, get your tank cycled again, and going forward do proper water maintenance.

Wow thanks for the quick reply. Just so I understand, do you mean to do these water changes in the same day or over the span of a week?

Should I continue to do the Ammo-lock from API along with the Nitra-zorb packet or should I try to get it back in its own balance?

I would probably do 2 x 25% water changes an hour apart, then another 50% water change after another hour. Then test the water and do further 50% water changes an hour apart until your ammonia is below 0.5ppm

Going forward, do whatever water changes are needed to keep ammonia + nitrite combined no higher than 0.5ppm. If that means 50% per day, then change 50% per day. Depending on your water tests it could mean more or less than a daily water change.

Ammo lock is a backup. The only surefire way to control your ammonia without your cycle is water changes.

Nitra-zorb? Get the tank cycled, control waste with water changes until your cycle is established, keep up with water changes as needed when your cycle is established. You dont need all these chemicals and additives if you keep up with proper water maintenance. They are selling you stuff you don't need, and it is giving you false confidence that you can rely on these products and not do your proper water maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom