Ammonia Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C-is-4-cichlid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been having the same problem as well. My ammonia level in my tank is really high. I tried the chemicals and found that it was a mistake. Then I tried a water change at about 30% or so. The ammonia level in my tank is still high, and my fish don't seem to be doing that well. I'm starting to get worried because my fish are twitching and seem to be rubbing themselves on things in my tank. I was reading the posts and I really want to do another water change, but I'm scared it might harm my fish because I'll be loosing the good bacteria and I don't want the nitrite spike to kill my fish. I have 2 parrot cichilds that are my pride and joy. I've had them for over 3 years and they're at least 1/2 a foot in size, they have surivied through so much and I would hate to lose them now. My tank is a 55 gallon and I have several other cichlids in there, most of them aren't doing to well either. Should I do a water change again tomorrow, and if so how much? And what about adding another filter? Do you think that might help?

~Crystal

I split your post into it's own topic so it didn't take away from the OP.

Do a water change, it's not going to hurt your fish. Just don't vac the gravel or clean the filter/decor and you won't be removing any bacteria. I'd do at least 50% daily to get the level down.

Daily large water changes will keep your levels low enough that the fish should survive. But I would highly recommend you get filter media from an established tank (LFS or friend/family), and in the meantime get some fast growing cheap plants. Extra filtration at this point would have little effect since its the bacteria you need for ammonia removal, not mechanical filtration for particles in the water.

BioSpira may help, but even that can be hit or miss. The established media idea is a great plan, if you can get any.

Established media is a good idea as long as it comes from a trusted source with a healthy tank. I personally wouldn't trust lfs media, even if I trust the store. I would go the BioSpira route if at all possible.

Yes I have had the same fish in the same tank for 3 years.

I'm going to do a water change right now.... probably like 25% I think my fish should be fine with the water change I'm just scared it would be enough to lower the ammonia

Large water changes are the only thing you can do to help your fish survive, other than adding BioSpira or established filter media/gravel. How high is the ammonia? Is there nitrite? Can you post specific test results? I'm guessing that, since you say your ammonia is really high, you should do a 50-70% water change. You will need to test your water at least once daily, and do enough water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite under .25. Changing water will not harm your fish, it can only help them. Do not vacuum your gravel or clean your filters until you are sure the tank has cycled (ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is detectable).

I would have to agree that 50-75% pwc is the only thing to really make a dent in the ammonia. Like mentioned if you can get your hands on some biospira it may help.

Good news I did the water change and tested the ammonia and it went way down. = )
So ammonia's good, I tested the nitrIte and it's good as well, ............ but..... I tested the nitrAte and it's pretty high its at like 70 ppm .............. is high nitrAte bad......what do I do?

High nitrates are not nearly as dangerous as ammonia or nitrites. Long term exposure will weaken your fishes immunes systems. The best way to decrease them is to do a water change.

I hope you didn't put the buckets away. :)

You said ammonia and nitrite are "good"... Can you post specific numbers from your test results? And yes, 70ppm nitrate is high, but it won't kill your fish. I agree, you'll need to change more water. :p

Back
Top Bottom