Ammonia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrFishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all. i have a question about ammonia problems, and the best way to control it. i have a 55g tank that has been running for about a month. i have 2 whisper ex70 water filters on the tank. using sand instead of gravel. i have grown to like the malawi cichlids. for the last week i have been fighting an ammonia problem. i have added api's ammo-carb to the media cartridges. this has helped alittle in lowering the level. when i first noticed a problem, my tests where about a 4.0-8.0 on test kit. i have got it down to about a 2.0. i was told since the bio filter isnt too established that i shouldnt do any major water changes. been about 4 days since last 30% change.

there arent to many fish left in the tank since this problem started. stock includes 1 gs puffer, 1 yellow lab, 1 red zebra and a acei. none are more than an inch and a half. they have been cut back to 2 small pinches of pellet food a day.

i did use an ammo-lock about a week ago. can that be giving a false posi? am i being to impatiant on the ammo-carb? i dont expect the levels to drop over night, but i dont like the idea of flushing anymore fish. has anyone have some advice for this noob?

Whoa! Ok. Ill start with ammonia. The best way to control it is to cycle your tank! Water changes are your friend and will keep your friends happy :)

That puffer? It is a brackish animal as a juvie, it grows to be a full on, salt water fish! Cool huh! So either you have a really good excuse to start a salt tank, or I'd rehome him. He's not at all compatible either.

Stop using ammo lock. It will starve your bacteria colony. Just go throw it away. Now lol

One more thing. Please don't flush fish. Wrap them in a paper towel and put it in a baggie, and either bury him or put him in the garbage.

Anytime your ammonia rises above. 25, it's water change time. Good luck! !

Back
Top Bottom