Ammonia spike cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zonatedsumo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I am just trying to get some advise.

I have kept fish for a couple of years now, but when I cycle a tank I have always used a bacteria boost which I am not doing this time as I have come to the conclusion they are a waste of money.

So I am just over a week into cycling and my ammonia was 0.010 when I started after using water conditioner. (Tank is planted) after about 4 days I added ten trumpet snails and I am feeding them two small bits of flake food a day and the ammonia spiked within two days to 0.032. Is this normal and will it sort its self out?

Do I need to do water changes?

How long will it take for ammonia to drop.

Any info would be a great help.

image-2934525588.jpg

At only .010 your cycle is just STARTING, and most likely needs more organic decay to feed the ammonia cycle. Your ammonia needs to get higher to continue the cycle.

CMOS

Very nice tank. Yes, the cycle is just now starting and the ammonia should spike a lot more, then after a week in your case it should go down, you will notice the nitrite spike, then in about a week or two it will go down, then the nitrate, and once that spike is over do a pwc and the tank is cycled! Sorry I probably provided more info than you needed :oops: also, if you have any other seeded filter media or aquarium water from other cycled tanks, adding those will only help speed the cycle and boost it along!

Zona,

What's your water temp?

The bacteria you need for bio-filtering does better at warmer temps. I'd suggest keeping it 80-82 degrees during the cycle to hasten their growth.

CMOS

Sorry for the late reply, I am running a fluval 206 filter and temp is about 26c 78f

Sorry for the late reply, I am running a fluval 206 filter and temp is about 26c 78f

Get that temp up to 80-82. That will accelerate the cycling process. Back down to 78 after the cycle is complete.

Nice looking tank. (y)

CMOS

Back
Top Bottom