Ammonia Spike In My 55 Gallon Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcbyrds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. This is my first post. I have had the tank set-up for over two years. It is a planted tank.
PH-6.2
Ammonia-.25-.50
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-40
I have 5 Angelfish
5 Tetras
2 5" Plecos
2 Cats
4 Siamese Algae Eater
2 Black Mollies
1 8" Goldfish.
My Ammonia level was at 0 until my wife won the goldfish at a carnival.
I plan to move the goldfish to my brothers pond once the warm weather comes.
The fish show no signs of stress. A pair of Angels laid eggs last week.
My Ph was at 6.8 until I received the Goldfish.
Could the result of the Goldfish be the reason for the Ammonia spike and lower PH levels.
I do a 20% water change weekly.
Thanks for your advice.
McByrds

Hello mc...

An established tank requires more than a weekly water change of 20 percent for the fish to be healthy. 20 percent leaves 80 percent of the old, toxic water still in the tank. The fish and any plants you have will add toxins to the water before you change it again. You need to gradually work up to the point you're changing half or more water weekly. This is especially true if you have heavy waste producing fish like Goldfish. A 60 percent water change removes most of the toxins. The toxins that are left are diluted to a safe level in all the new, treated tap water.

B

You shouldn't mix goldfish with tropical fish. Goldfish require a lower temperature. The goldfish no doubt is a heavy waste producer. You have a couple fish in there that are also heavy waste producers on top of that. How big is the goldfish? And can you keep him in a different smaller tank? My experience with goldfish and higher temps is they become stressed and diseased. The pH isn't suitable for a goldfish either. It would be a shame to infect your tank because of one goldfish you got for free.

Your pH will move around a bit if your tank goes into a mini cycle.

I agree with BB, 20% isn't enough. 50% weekly water changes is the goal. At this point, I'd do back to back 50% water changes to get the ammonia down.

Agree with above - sounds like tank is trying to play catch up. I’d suspect your kh has dropped from getting used up by the extra bacterial activity which has then dropped ph (luckily ammonia is less toxic at lower ph) - what’s normal tap water ph?

King Fisher, The Goldfish is about 8"s. I do not have another tank to put him in until I can re home him in my brothers pond in a few months. Guess I will have to start doing a 50% water change per week. Thanks.

Delapool, the normal tap water is 7.2 PH. I hope by doing a 50% water change will raise it. Thank you.

Should
I do a 25% water change twice a week till the Goldfish is re homed????

You could. I think a 50% once a Week should be fine. If you got a freshwater test kit you can gauge when you need to do your water changes and how much.

Back
Top Bottom