Ammonia! Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do the API test kits always give a false ammonia reading? For having biomedia that's been established for 2 years and doing weekly 40% water changes and I gravel vac each time I shouldn't have any ammonia, but my test kit always reads 0.25 or 0.50. I use Matrix as my biomedia and I only rinse my media when it looks really dirty. My tank is a 29 gal tall with 12 fish in it so I'm definitely not overstocked.

Do you treat your water before a wc? Did you happen to just do a wc when testing? Products like prime will simply bind ammonia making it harmless for 24 hours but will still show up on the test.

How do you rinse your media? Tank water or tap water?

Do you treat your water before a wc? Did you happen to just do a wc when testing? Products like prime will simply bind ammonia making it harmless for 24 hours but will still show up on the test.

How do you rinse your media? Tank water or tap water?

I use a python to refill my tank so I drop Prime in and then turn the water on and I test my water 24-48 hrs. after a water change. I rinse my media in tank water.

Well, you are overstocked.

What filter are you running?

There is also an issue with the numbers of your fish. All of your fish are schooling fish, meaning they will be healthier (i.e. less stressed, i.e. produce less waste) in groups of five or more.

Most fish are sold as juveniles, and your horseface loach might be nearing the size where it needs more space. That could also contribute to excess ammonia.

Well, you are overstocked.

What filter are you running?

There is also an issue with the numbers of your fish. All of your fish are schooling fish, meaning they will be healthier (i.e. less stressed, i.e. produce less waste) in groups of five or more.

Most fish are sold as juveniles, and your horseface loach might be nearing the size where it needs more space. That could also contribute to excess ammonia.

It's not the loach cuz I had ammonia issues even when I only had 2 fish, but I plan on donating him to my lfs anyway and I plan on adding to my schooling fish.

Back
Top Bottom