Amorous Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple feeder goldfish in with the rest of my fish, before anyone starts about them needing lower temps and what not, What would be the alternative? Take them back to the fish store to be eaten? Their growing, and have big fat healthy bellies.

Anyways.

There is one particularly Amorous one, and he has been doing what I guess is a spawning dance.

He has already tried to mate with my Bala Shark, my male AND Female Rosy Barb, and my Pl*co.

Its just funny to watch, really. Watching him put the moves on a fish three times his length and probably 10 times his mass.

Just posted this for a laugh.

Haha, I too used to have a couple feeder goldfish in with my tropicals, but I gave them to my neighbor to put in his little pond.

I can honestly say though that mine never did anything of the such, they just ran in to the other fish alot.... :roll:

My fantail goldfish runs into the sides of the aquarium.

It also tries to attack air bubbles.

Well, you know, it never occurred to me that I haven't heard about breeding in goldfish ever. Has anybody on this site had success with this? Do they, perhaps, require a much lower temperature, increasing gradually over a month or so, to mate?

William: defensive much? :wink:

I have had goldfish spawn. It does have to do with the semi-gradual rise in water temps. And it was in the spring. It in my indoor 55gallon aquarium that I keep in the basement.

before anyone starts about them needing lower temps and what not, What would be the alternative? Take them back to the fish store to be eaten?

Lol. I was just joking with you man. You sounded really defensive about these goldfish. I've certainly got no objection to you keeping them in with tropicals.

i have 3 fantails, and have researched their breeding, and found out that they breed after a rise in temperature, (examples said going from 50 to 65 in a pond), sothat they breed at the right time of the year

i have 3 fantails, and have researched their breeding, and found out that they breed after a rise in temperature, (examples said going from 50 to 65 in a pond), sothat they breed at the right time of the year

yeah i had 1 oranda in with my tropicals b4 i got the pond. it was like
|------------------------------|
and now its like this big |---------------------------------------|. :) was my first fancy goldfish :). and the temp was like 75.

i got my fantails last november when they were about |--------------------------------| (including fins) and now their |-------------------------------------------------------|

Back
Top Bottom