Amount of light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would the minimum amount of time I should have my lights on in my aquarium? The only live plant I have in there is java moss. I do have an automatic timer for the light, but was just wondering the minimum amount of time the light should be on. During the day, the room doesn't get a lot of light, as I have my blinds closed while at work. Even with the blinds open, it's still not all that bright. Thanks...

I would say eight hours a day is about the minimum you want to run standard lighting on a tank. 8-12 hours per day seems to be the average range most planted tank keepers run their lights, with most tending toward the upper end of the range.

I have my lights on for about 11 hours a day on all of my tanks. Those Coralife Power Centers are one of the nicest accessories you can have on a tank in my opinion.

But with only java moss in the tank, might it be beneficial to just give it 5-6 hours or something, to prevent algae? Just curious!

man, i think i keep my lights on too long.. i run them from about 7 a.m. till 9 p.m. 14 hours... but, all my plants are thriving, and i have ZERO algea, thanks to my American-flag fish (those things LOVE hair algea). Is there any other negative effects to running the lights that long? (other than the electric bill :))).. anyway I guess I have always done it that much, and I don't want to change anything if the plants are doing well

I would say that if you can get away with 14 hours a day, go for it. I wish I could run my lights that long (so I can look at my tank even longer :p ) but I would be pushing the algae factor too far.

How about staggering lights? Would that simply be the sum of hours, or you have to allow for some lag time till the photosynthesis kicks in?

I was just asking because java moss is a low-med light plant, and was wondering if I could get away with 7-8 hours. Currenyly I have the light come on at 6am, goes off at 8:30 am, comes back on at 1pm and stays on til 9pm for bedtime. I just have it on in the morning while I get ready for work, and it goes off when I leave. I don't get home from work til 6, and was just wondering if I could get away with it coming on around 3, rather than 1. I used to run it from 6am-9pm with no troubles, but just checking other options.

Back
Top Bottom