Amount of Substrate for a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
So at Petco a 10lb bag of the CaribSea White sand I had my eye on went on sale for $5.59 each. I ordered it online so it will be coming in the mail this week. I ordered 80lbs of it, so will that be enough? I am looking to grow some live plants. How much depth of sand will this give me?

So at Petco a 10lb bag of the CaribSea White sand I had my eye on went on sale for $5.59 each. I ordered it online so it will be coming in the mail this week. I ordered 80lbs of it, so will that be enough? I am looking to grow some live plants. How much depth of sand will this give me?

Roughly 1.5 inches, if spread evenly. That should give you enough for most plants.

General rule of thumb is 1 lb per gallon to achieve a 1"bed, 2 lbs per gallon for a 2" bed.

55-110 lbs is what Dr foster and Smith says, so 80 lbs will be perfect, also is better to have more substrate than you need if you want to renovate or do something later down the road.

Back
Top Bottom