Amquel+

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techiegirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking about this and thought you guys might know.....
If you are using Amquel+ on the tap water that you are using for the water changes..... and your aquarium is kind of recycling (from a move), then isn't this a bad thing?
I add the Amquel+ to the tap water, then add it to the tank.
But since it also removes Nitrites, then would it mess up the cycling in the tank??
I am having the worst time with this tank!!! :?

Yes I think you are right. Amquel+ removes ammonia and nitrites. If your "recycling" a tank its better not to use this stuff, because your aquarium won't cycle properly. You should get some regular stuff that just removes chlorine and chloramine if its in your water. I think after your done cycling the tank you can use amquel+, but I rarely use it.

Todd2 said:
You should get some regular stuff that just removes chlorine and chloramine if its in your water.
oh bah.. I was afraid of that -- except I am using the Amquel+ to remove the ammonia from the tap water. :?
So now it's back to buying 25 gal of RO a day from the lfs and lugging that around again???
Is there something that removes ammonia and NOT nitrites?
I am beginning to think this is not worth it. :(

Your tap water has ammonia in it? Or does it have chloramines which I think is chlorine and ammonia. A de-chlorinater/chloraminear (sp?) will remove chlorine and chloramines.

Actually, according to Amquel people, Amquel plus will not mess with the cycle. I emailed them a year or so back when I was cycling my tank. They stated that the amquel bond to ammonia & nitrite are reversible, therefore, both are still available to feed the bacteria.

Also, the chemicals in amquel or other ammonia binders are limited in the amount of NH3 or NO2 they can bind, AND the chemicals will also break down over time (according to Seachem - in a day or two). So as the fishies/or fishless cycling produces ammonia & nitrite, these will accumulate in the tank, even in the presence of binders (since these will be used up - so to speak).

At any rate, I have noticed no ill effects with using an ammonia/nitrite binder (I've used both Amquel & Prime) in the initial cycling or "re-cycling" with my tank move.

I had a huge ammonia and nitrite spike in my prized angel tank a while back, and while I was waiting for my tank to settle down by adding another established filter, I used the amquel plus to neutralize the ammonia and nitrites. It worked beautifully, and I had no problems with my tank being back to normal within a week! I know it says on the bottle that it eliminates the ammonia and nitrites, I think it really just neutralizes them so they are not harmful to your fish, but will still feed your bacteria.

i use this product and it says
"...will remove on average more than 1.2 ppm of ammonia, 2 ppm of nitrite, and 13 ppm of nitrate..."
so it seems to me by that statement that it doesnt completely remove these things. in fact IME i can say it does not completely remove those substances as after use i still tested in the positives on them.

the "remove" is a bit misleading. Amquel simply binds to the nitrogenous wastes, making them less toxic. The stuff is still there until you physically remove it with a water change. That's why your good bacteria won't starve when you add amquel.

Amquel's web site has a pretty good illustration on how this all works.

Back
Top Bottom