An angel in a 29 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrscbennett

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I have a 29 gal tank with; 7 neons, 4 cherry barbs, 3 pristella, and a tiny BNP. Do you think I could add an Angel? Or two? Thanks!

Mrscbennett said:
Hi! I have a 29 gal tank with; 7 neons, 4 cherry barbs, 3 pristella, and a tiny BNP. Do you think I could add an Angel? Or two? Thanks!

IME with asking the same question on here you will get mixed answers. I personally beleive you can, as i do have two in a 29 gal my self, but some people beleive one is the max. When the angels get full grown they may be alittle cramped, i have a 75 to rehome mine to when they get bigger, but they will also eat your neons.

The 29 gal should not be their permanant home.

If you have the capacity to rehome them to atleast a 50 gal then i say go for it.

If you cannot upgrade then i would suggest a smaller centerpeice such as a ram pair or dwarf gouramis (1m2f).

i would say yes. like mentioned before, once matured they probably will eat your neons. i do feel you may need to rehome them as they reach their full size potential.

One would be fine even as an adult. Two would be fine as a mated pair as adults, if they were the only fish in the tank. Since you have a 55 it's neither here nor there. Angels should be fine with a severum but of course every fish is different so you never know for sure.

Odd......Were the barbs in a big enough school? Not enough in a school can cause most schooling fish who are ordinarily peaceful to lash out on tankmates.

This quote from aquaticcomunity.com, "The Cherry barb is a peaceful fish ideal for a community aquarium with other non-aggressive fish species that appreciate the same type of environment."

bud29 said:
Odd......Were the barbs in a big enough school? Not enough in a school can cause most schooling fish who are ordinarily peaceful to lash out on tankmates.

This quote from aquaticcomunity.com, "The Cherry barb is a peaceful fish ideal for a community aquarium with other non-aggressive fish species that appreciate the same type of environment."

Thinking of number Of fish in a school 4 ain't enough to call it a school.

I was just thinking that too......Mrscbennett, could you get 2-3 more barbs? That would make a good school and potentially save your future angelfish's fins.

I could do that, I like the cherry barbs. Ours are very peaceful and get along well with the tetras.
So...a pair of angels would be fine in the 29 until the are grown then they should go in the 55 with the severum and a bunch of loaches. Sound right?

Back
Top Bottom