An unexpected problem & important question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacifico

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

Well, I've come across a BIG problem! My 30 gal. has a leak on the bottom. I just got done transferring the mollies, guppies, tetras, and cories to my parents' house. It seems all of the fish are fine, fortunately.

Now, here's my question... Could I get away with (for the mean time) using an animal feed trough (possibly made of galvanized steel--I'm not sure) as a tank? You know, those large, metal, curved-rectangular things you'd see on a farm?

I'd definitely clean it out thoroughly and make sure it had proper filtration and heating. Any thoughts/opinions on this? Thanks and apologies if this is an unreasonable question.

--Also, I know metal is generally a no-no, but it seems like I've seen someone do this before...

Could I line the inside with a pond liner? Just trying to cover all the bases before I come off as a moron. Thanks.

yeah i think that might work. but if you put a heater in there the metal might get a lil hot

That sucks about your tank - I hope it's easily fixable.
In the meantime, I would just go to Walmart and buy a standard 32 gal plastic Rubbermaid garbage can. Pop in your filter, and heater, and you're set to go. When this is all over, you could always use it to store stuff - or as a garbage can.

Thanks guy, I appreciate the replies.

--Plastic is probably cheaper, anyhow. Good suggestion.

QTOFFER said:
That sucks about your tank - I hope it's easily fixable.
In the meantime, I would just go to Walmart and buy a standard 32 gal plastic Rubbermaid garbage can. Pop in your filter, and heater, and you're set to go. When this is all over, you could always use it to store stuff - or as a garbage can.

If you are running over to Walmart, why not just get a new tank? Am I missing something? You could even upgrade to a bigger tank, its cheap to do if you already have the filtration, heater, gravel, etc.

I agree this is what I did ... and then still ended up keeping my 2 foot for my fry lol 8) . My tanks have never leaked though 8) Is therea reason why they do ?

Maybe I will have to "put" a leak into my 29. Then I can convince my wife we need a 55 8)

QTOFFER said:
I would just go to Walmart and buy a standard 32 gal plastic Rubbermaid garbage can.

Plastic storage bins are also very cheap and will do the job.

Until he gets a new tank? Why not just get the new tank and save the $5-10 on the garbage can/bin? If its just a matter of patching your tank with glue I'm sure you can find something around the house to hold them in until the silicon sets.

I like the idea of a plastic container for the intermediate tank. Aside from using it as storage, put it aside for use as a QT tank in the future. If the tank is repairable, allow plenty of time for the sealant to set. Of course, test the seal before returning the fish to that tank.

Back
Top Bottom