And it BEGINS my friends!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
That is a great idea and I'm look into it when the stand gets here. My only concern would be weakening the stand.

If you don't cut it at a structural point then it won't have much effect.

I'd suggest a circular hole as that would help spread the force around and past the opening and into the base.

You could always (depending on DIY skills) add some triangular support with strips of metal or hard woods as extra support to compensate the gap?

Convict2161 said:
That is a great idea and I'm look into it when the stand gets here. My only concern would be weakening the stand.

I dont know about your stand, but the back of mine is just a thin sheet of wood. It will be fine if ypur stand is like mine.

Gboy66 said:
I dont know about your stand, but the back of mine is just a thin sheet of wood. It will be fine if ypur stand is like mine.

I assumed it would be something like that, it's usually (from what I've seen) a thick piece of wood down the centre and then a sheet of ply or chipboard for the rest

Scouser said:
What make is the stand?

Maybe I can google the specs?

Not sure.... My friend who owns a LFS ordered it for me. Probably should have asked that question.

Lyndab has the same stand.

From what I know the back panel is usually to prevent the cabinet from "racking" (side to side wobble leading to collapse)

So long as you don't take the entire back of and leave a fair amount of the panel intact then you shouldn't have any issues, besides convincing people the awesome idea was yours :p

Scouser said:
From what I know the back panel is usually to prevent the cabinet from "racking" (side to side wobble leading to collapse)

So long as you don't take the entire back of and leave a fair amount of the panel intact then you shouldn't have any issues, besides convincing people the awesome idea was yours :p

Haha! Thanks... :)

the pads seem like a good idea. we have a smaller version on most of our furniture on wood floors

skiweeangel said:
the pads seem like a good idea. we have a smaller version on most of our furniture on wood floors

Me too, the ones I pictured work on carpeted floors to (don't ask me how!) so they will help in any situation really.

Hope he can find a suitable solution :)

In all honesty I don't think it will be too hard to
Move. My husband and I moved our 55gal which was full to the brim into the
Middle of the room while we were painting. Just move slow and you'll be fine.

Stand comes today! Whoo Hoo!!! I'll send pics later on when it's in place with tank. Won't be set up yet. I'm drawing out different plans for scaping the tank. I have a vision... I have a vision folks! :)

Ok if anyone can help me, I have a question. Do I need to or is it necessary to use my gravel from the old tank? I have so much gravel in 5 gallon buckets. Was just curious if it would be beneficial to use the old gravel in the established tank.

Convict2161 said:
Ok if anyone can help me, I have a question. Do I need to or is it necessary to use my gravel from the old tank? I have so much gravel in 5 gallon buckets. Was just curious if it would be beneficial to use the old gravel in the established tank.

No you don't have to. Some of your BB live in it but most is in the filter. So as long as you move the filter and watch for a mini cycle (you are doing that anyway with the move) it's all good!

Mumma.of.two said:
No you don't have to. Some of your BB live in it but most is in the filter. So as long as you move the filter and watch for a mini cycle (you are doing that anyway with the move) it's all good!

And thanks again Mumma! I should just get a direct line to ya :)

Setting up the tank now. Just gonna make sure everything is level and then start placement of decor, which will change probably 10x's before I'm done. I'm gonna take one filter off the 55 and let it run on the 75. Is there a time frame before I can transfer my friends to there new home?

Can I do it tonight?

Convict2161 said:
And thanks again Mumma! I should just get a direct line to ya :)

Setting up the tank now. Just gonna make sure everything is level and then start placement of decor, which will change probably 10x's before I'm done. I'm gonna take one filter off the 55 and let it run on the 75. Is there a time frame before I can transfer my friends to there new home?

Can I do it tonight?

Once the tank is full, dechlorinated and both filters are on your right to transfer them over. What I would do is set up the new tank, syphon most of the water from the 55 to the 75, fill the rest of the 75 with fresh dechlorinated temp matched water, move the filters and heater/s, then move the fish straight over. (As long as the temp and everything is good)

Nice!! Could i suggest a decor of slate, and pile rocks? I love that look for chiclids :D as for transfering the fish, i dont know an exact amount of time to wait, but definatly dont do it tonight. I think id wait a week or two. Again, not posative because iv never actually tried to cycle a tank with a filter.

Im also not positive on how to spell positive hahah

Back
Top Bottom