and the tank goes full circle **Updated with pics**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
My planted tank failed miserably. I'm going back to basics for a while, maybe forever. I just picked up a new NO fluorescent strip light to replace the CF one, and I'm cleaning out all the plants (what's left of them). I'm going to leave the java fern and that's it. I'm sucking out all the eco-complete and putting just plain boring gravel down. The DIY CO2 is going as well. I'm going to keep the canister filter, no reason to change that. I'm hoping the media in the filter is enough to keep the tank cycled and build up the bacteria for the move within the next month.

The biggest reason is the house and the acre of land that comes with the house. I just won't have time to deal with a complicated setup, and to be honest is just hasn't been fun recently. I remember a time when I used to sit and enjoy my tank, now every time I look at it I have to do an hour worth of work on it.

The funniest thing is that after I make all these changes the tank it will be identical to the way it was when I first "inherited" it almost four years ago. Funny how things go around like that.

For those looking to start a planted tank, keep your eyes on the classified section this weekend, there may be a sweet deal on a 96W CF assembly and housing there soon :wink:.

Here is my before and after pic. It took me about 3 hours, and I'm not done yet. I don't want to do too much because I don't want to cycle. Next week I need to syphon off more of the algea and do a big water change, and then the move will incorporate the second large water change. Then I'll be able to get my fish stock back up. There was no sign of my kuhlii loaches, but they could just have been hiding in the fake stump.

Sorry about the flash reflection in the after pic, I'll take a better one once it's moved to the new house and looks closer to what I want.

WARNING: pictures may be objectionable to some viewers!

Before (has new light fixture on it):
P3170078.JPG

After (pretty boring but at least I'll be able to actually enjoy it):
P3170081.JPG

shawmutt said:
For those looking to start a planted tank, keep your eyes on the classified section this weekend, there may be a sweet deal on a 96W CF assembly and housing there soon :wink:
Hm, what's the length?

The tank does look much better in the after pic.

length of the pc is 36", tank in the pic is a 30g, and the housing fit right over it. The light and reflector are from ahsupply.com ( http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt.htm ), I built the housing myself following the plans that came with the light, and added little rubber feet. I'll be taking pictures of it tomorrow.

why don't you get a mag/float or algae scraper and clean the glass???

That picture shows the back glass perfectly :p. All that algae is on the back glass, after scraping the crap out of the front glass for almost an hour, I was sick of scraping glass. At least the front glass is spotless; I'll probably tackle the back glass at next water change. There is a lot of algae in there. I should have taken a picture of the water I sucked out of there, it was gross.

I know, I know, I'm a bad fish owner :oops:

I should have taken a picture of the water I sucked out of there, it was gross.

Did you water your houseplants with it? They's be in 7th heaven!

Sorry to hear about your frustration, but good on ya for recognizing that your hobby was now a chore and taking back the tank, not throwing in the towel.

Tracy

It does look much better in the after pic. And you are right you will be able to enjoy it. I don't envy you the task of cleaning all that algae out of the tank that's for sure. 8)

shawmutt said:
That picture shows the back glass perfectly :p. All that algae is on the back glass, after scraping the crap out of the front glass for almost an hour, I was sick of scraping glass. At least the front glass is spotless; I'll probably tackle the back glass at next water change. There is a lot of algae in there. I should have taken a picture of the water I sucked out of there, it was gross.

I know, I know, I'm a bad fish owner :oops:

no no your not a bad fish owner!!! THe algae doesn't do any harm to the fish whatsoever... lol. I thought all that algae was on the front. Some people actuallly leave algae growing on the back so the fish can graze on it.

Back
Top Bottom