Andrew's betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saaebn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am so excited about how my sons new betta tank came out.

10 gallon tank with filter. Then he put on a background and added a couple artificial plants and a small skull (an 8 year old boys idea :wink: ) The hole thing is in his room and doesnt seem to be too loud.

Question-- Does the tank need a charcoal filter? I might be able to add one with an air filter.

The betta doesnt seem sure about what to do, but at least he has room enough to decide.

Thanks,
Stacie

Actually if all you have is a betta in the tank, you really don't need a filter at all. I'm sure you've seen the betta bowls in the fish store. They will live just fine in an enclosure with no filter. You will need one, hoever, if you want to keep other tropical fish. As long as you don't add another betta, you can add pretty much any type of community tropical fish.

Just curious, you said that you have a filter, but not a charcoal one. What type do you have? An undergravel?

You gotta let him have the skull. That's the kinda stuff I would have wanted when I was 8. :twisted: Its' cool that your son is interested in fishkeeping.

ok - chalk one up for someone just beginning :D

We realized yesterday that there was charcoal in the aqua clear filter. I was just thrown because the tank we got had an aqua clear mini and two of those charcoal filters that attach to the inside of the tank. I thought that everything went in the tank, then after looking at it all it seemed like filter overkill.

He ended up adding 4 red wags to the tank this weekend. They are all doing ok. He wants to add something that sucks to the side so we went around and looked at different stores and he decided an apple snail was cool enough.

Yes, it is fun that he is getting into fish. I like that he has somethine that he likes doing and something that he has to save money up to purchase ( like more fish, plants, etc). He isnt into sports much so it is nice to see him with a hobby.

Stacie

Sorry. Just for the record, I still think skulls are cool and I'm twenty four.

Stacie, keeping fish is great for kids. It's teaches them responsibility. If they don't care for the fish, they will not live. Plus they make less mess than dogs and cats. They smell a WHOLE lot better than hampsters and gerbils.

If your son buys his own fish with money he earned, it will be all that much better for him (financial responsibility is tough to teach kids). Plus, he will understand why protecting the environment is so important. I say fishkeeping is one of the all around best hobbies for a kid to get into. My seven month old daughter has a ten gallon in her room. Her mother and I thought it would be great for her to have. She loves looking at it. When she's old enough, she will be the one doing water changes and scraping algae from the glass. You can see her picture in the Lounge foum in the post with a paperclip by it (I forget what it's called, something like "My kids picture")

:D
Isaac

Back
Top Bottom