Angel companions revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I keep angels with molllies & guppies in a 65g? I know having any fry survive may be a problem even with constant vigilence & prompt netting but will they bother the adults - more worried about Gups than Mollies

The situation has occurred because I have been offered some really nice calico Angels & since my original group of 4 has been together a year now I am assuming I must find an alternative tank for this bunch & my *in progress* molly/gup tank is my only available space

E. Assuming that your current Angel tank is large enough for the addition of four new Angels, likely no real problems. Stocking only one or maybe two new Angels might lead to aggression issues, but adding four at once should sufficiently dilute aggression.
Of course initially there will be the typical cichlid pushing and shoving establishing the new pecking order.
Mixing Angels and Guppies is a sure way to guarantee fat Angels.

was afraid of that - so that then brings me back to possibly adding them to the current angel tank & hoping for the best - it's a 75g running 2 Penguin 350s with about a dozen Green cory & 4 3" Angels, am I going to be able to do this or am I pushing my limits

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you give you existing Angels time out for a day or two. Take them out of tank and put in replacement tank or a big bucket. Then add them with your new angels to same tank. This can help a lot in aggression issues. With Angels I never risk because even if you add four new angels atleast one of them will be harassed and bullied badly and when angels are stressed and nipped they develop fin rot. I tried the time out method and it doesn't cut the complete aggression but it certainly helps at least in my case it always helped.

Adult Guppies are fine with Angels. Mollies too. The Guppy and Molly fry will make great live food for the Angels.

Back
Top Bottom