Angel compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ButterstheAngel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Now that my tank is finally keeping steady healthy parameters I'm trying to figure out what type of fish to pair my one angel Butters with. He used to get beat up by a community of fish in another tank (loach, large angel, sharks) and he has PTSD. He's super mellow and gets frantic if fish are too hyper or get too close to him.

Right now I have him (he's 3"), 10 baby panda corys, 1 baby pleco, 2 baby mystery snails. He seems to be entertained with the corys. In the past I tried 3 painted glass fish: temperament worked out but they weren't great looking, 3 mollies: way too hyper and chaotic, and then 2 gouramis that nipped at his fins and made him shoot back and forth across the tank and surf the glass trying to get away from them.

What kind of fish are mellow, keep to their own territories, and generally might match well with an angel? Maybe one betta of a totally different color will mind their own business? Is he just fine in here alone? He seems like he might be bored sometimes, but maybe not. What does everyone think? Thank you :)

Attachments

• 767FB142-3DD5-4127-B865-0C660EFB76E6.jpg
    767FB142-3DD5-4127-B865-0C660EFB76E6.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 37
This is the 20g tank?

When those panda corys get full grown your tank is going to be pretty much full. Its a bit on the small side for an angel fish really. Personally i would stick with what you have in a 20g tank.

You would get away with a betta from a bioload PoV, but there might be aggression between the betta and angelfish. Adding a betta in with other fish is always risky, but it could work if both fish are of a calm temperament. Have a back up plan to move the betta if it doesnt go as planned. Maybe a female betta would be "betta" than a male?

It is 20g yes. I could offload some corys if the angel and them outgrow the tank. I can work on getting a larger tank too.

I was gonna get a small tank and start cycling so that if I try the betta and it doesn’t work out I can move her or him :) Maybe just a hospital tank would be ok for a day or two for a betta.

Rummy nose tetra are small and keep to themselves. I personally have 8 panda Cory’s, 10 rummy nose tetra, and 2 angel fish in a 54 gallon. With this said you really should have a good size group of rummy nose for them to feel safe and happy and that may or may not be too much in a 20 gallon.

How big do panda corys get? I was thinking of giving away a few to make room for some rummy noses. Or am still debating a betta if I can get a backup tank in case it fails…

Ya- mine is only 20g with one less angelfish and no tetras… not sure if I have the space!

Panda Cory only get about 2 inch max. There are smaller Pygmy Cory (1 inch max) and dwarf- salt and pepper Cory (1.5 inch max) but those types might be harder to find

If you do decide to go with Betta I would highly recommend female vs. a male in my experience female was way better behaved in community tank than male. Of course it all depends on fish but I think would have better chance of “chill” factor with a female. Having a backup tank just in case is a great idea I also have used a breeding box in tank to test temperament before letting Berta fully in tank. Not sure where you are located but San Diego gem coast online has a amazing selection of betta but they are on the pricey side.

I’m in San Francisco. Great idea I’ll try a female and keep a hospital tank just in case :)

Oh wow, Folsom ca here! [emoji112]I’m actually setting up my own new 10 gallon betta tank and had thought I would have to wait a few more weeks due to this crazy heat wave we got but I scored at my local fish store found a gorgeous Betta and they had salt and pepper dwarf Cory in stock! Totally thought I was gonna have to have them order for me and their Betta selection hasn’t been great other times I’ve went in. IMG_0903.jpg

There’s some stores here in SF with amazingly gorgeous bettas. I don’t think you need to separate the betta and cory tho!

Nice! Oh ya, not the long term plan :) that pic is of betta separated in my 54 gallon tank while I finish getting the 10 gallon ready. :) my angels Angelica, Bob, and Charlie have been very intrigued by the caged guest in their tank lol I keep catching all three of them just hovered watching the Betta. Luckily betta hasn’t been bothered by them and just swims around in little breeder box seemingly unaware of the audience.

I’m gonna set up a 10 gallon tank and then try a female betta with Butters the angel… and if it doesn’t work out I’m going to put the female in the 10 gallon and get more females and have a tank of just those :)

I’m definitely curious to find out how butters does with a betta - keep me posted! Hoping to have my 10 gallon done today I will share some pics once betta is in. Added the Cory’s yesterday but wanted to give them day to get settled before I add betta in and I get fun chore of boiling some driftwood today lol

I didn’t know you had to boil it? I just bought it already boiled I guess! I’ll keep you posted for sure! I got the tank today and setting up once the lid and lights come in a couple days…

Nice! I think some do come preboiled but mine came with instructions to boil three times for 1 hr each time. was quite the ordeal but got for a decent price online and luckily for me all pieces in the 3 pack were really good looking.

I got a little purple/blue female betta and put her in the tank with Butters… she keeps trying to investigate him and he gives her a stern look of warning… so mostly she flutters around exploring. I saw her testing out the cories capacity last night too. So far so good it seems. Still working on getting the new tank ready and might still move her over and create an all female betta tank. I also boiled some driftwood too lol

Nice! lol.. glad to hear it’s peaceful! I was a little worried for you with how my angels were acting with my betta in the breeder box before I moved to the other tank :)

Butters is a strange angelfish. I think he has PTSD from being attacked in the community tank before. He’s chill being alone, other fish stress him out. I was worried he was lonely, but really I don’t know. So far he’s always acted more afraid of all other fish than they are of him.

Back
Top Bottom