Angel fish and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esimone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good afternoon everyone!

This is my first post on this forum after reading many informative posts on here. I recently got a 60 gallon tank and its just finished its cycling phases and I'm excited to get some fish this week. Anyway, I am interested in getting a couple of Angel Fish. I would also like some guppies but have read mixed reviews on whether they can coexist or not. I plan on getting small angel fish as I've read they are less likely to eat the guppies once they grow up. Again, not sure how true this is. Any recommendations as to having guppies and angel fish in the same tank? If not, what do you recommend with angel fish?

Thanks!

Edit: one more thing to add. I found a site called peteducation.com that seemed cool for fish requirements by species. Has anyone used this or know of its validity?

The angels might leave the guppies alone if they were raised from a small size...I mean you just would have no way of knowing. I'd probably try a larger fish. If you really want a livebearer species, mollies are considerably larger.
Peaceful barbs like Denison's Barb and Rosy Barbs or larger tetras like Black Skirts may work.

The angels might leave the guppies alone if they were raised from a small size...I mean you just would have no way of knowing. I'd probably try a larger fish. If you really want a livebearer species, mollies are considerably larger.
Peaceful barbs like Denison's Barb and Rosy Barbs or larger tetras like Black Skirts may work.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Anyone else have any ideas what they would recommend with Angel fish?

My Angels never ate my guppies. But then again, they were smaller. Angels will try to eat any other fish that will fit in their mouths.

Angels will not try to eat whatever they can fit into their mouths. I've kept angels for over 30 years and todays color varieties of angels are not like keeping Altum angels or any type of wild caught angels that small fish are part of their diet. Starting with small dime or nickle size bodied angels and raising them with smaller fish usually insures no aggression issues towards little fish as the angels mature. Now angels will eat fry and very tiny fish (1/4" possibly up to 1/2" but rarely that big). The only problems I've had with angels and other fish over the years is with very large breeding males that have serious aggression issues. Right now I have 12 adult breeding angels in a 220g planted with all small fish... cardinals that are alittle over 1/2", rummynose tetra's, Rachovii killifish (quite small especially females), threadfin rainbowfish, and long finned white cloud mountian minnows. The only fish I absolutely won't keep with angels is small neon tetras. Many keep angels and guppies together as the angels keep thier tanks from being overrun with guppy fry.

Back
Top Bottom