Angel fish by itself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, can an angelfish be without a partner, will it eat harlequin rasboras or neon tetras, will he do better with a partner?
:thank you:

I'm pretty sure that they will do by themselves, but will they eat my harlequins and my tetras

So, these fish won't fit in their mouths, right
Or should I substitute him for a dwarf gourami?

Angel fish have different personalities, my angels don't eat my small schooling fish but I know others that do. If you want to try it its best to raise angels with the small fish so they don't see them as a food source. But if this is for the 20 gallon long tank then definitely not recommended. If I put my angel in my 20gL its fins would stick out of the water...

What size is the tank? Angels are fine alone. They don't need a mate. They will try to eat something if it is small enough, but usually when they are raised together they won't bother small fish. I have had mine with neons, tiny cories, and shrimp. His body was about the size of a baseball in diameter.

Yea, I just want a tiny angel, and then when it gets bigger, I want to put him in my 55 gallon, does that sound good?

In the 20 it's going to stop growing and start being stunted and you won't notice. Might as well just put him in the 55 right away.

+1. 20g long would be okay for pea size angels until they're dime size but I really wouldn't let them stay any longer in there.

I wanted to get neons with angels too, but then I read that in the wild, neon tetras are the angelfish's number one prey, so I decided not to chance it. Instead I got Colombian tetras, which are larger tetras, but have similar coloration. Just make sure you get at least five or six, or they may get nippy with your angel.

Back
Top Bottom