Angel fish pregnant??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghost knife

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, My angel fish has now looked like this and progressively getting larger over a period of about 3 weeks. Can anyone recognise what may be happening please?

Attachments

• 20140829_075106_resized (3).jpg
    20140829_075106_resized (3).jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 688
It definitely isn't pregnant since angelfish aren't live bearers. My guess is a bad parasite. What are your water parameters, how big is the tank, and what inhabitants?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi,
Thankyou for your reply, I have had both Angel fish for as long as I can remember and they are special to me. My tank is 280 litres with bogwood and no live plants.
PH = 6.5
KH = 2
Temp : 79*F
Other fish are:
1 parrot fish
1 Gourami
1 Dwarf gourami
2 x plecs
3 x clown loaches

There could be a number of things wrong anything from constipation to simply eating too much to dropsy.
Since it's been going on for so long I would rule out constipation. If there was a blockage that serious I don't think the fish would still be alive.

How does the poop look?

I'm thinking either a parasite, worms, or dropsy. Another member will have to chime in. I've never dealt with something like this before so I am unsure of how to properly diagnose and treat. I don't want to give out the wrong info.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you very much for your advice. I have done a bit of research on each of the ailments you have mentioned. Although it "looks" like dropsy the fish is not showing any other symptoms that relate to it. Poop is as normal, light brownish colour and string like. I am now thinking it may be a parasite/worms so I will quarantine her and hopefully get her back to full health.

Back
Top Bottom