Angel fish stocking help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just completed my 60 gallon planted tank, and now that I have ordered 3 shipments of plants, it's heavily planted. Lots of hiding spots and everything; I'll add some pics soon. Oh and gotta give a shutout to "Rivercats" for helping me make this tank...you really helped a lot. Anyways, I have had it running for about 2-3 weeks now and have stocked it with 3 angels so far. They are about the size of a quarter. I have preordered 6 other dime sized angels online, but I think that nine angels in a 60 gallon is just way too much...or is it ok? Even though it's heavily planted...or since they are so small, would theyngrowmuo together and have no issues? I know it's a maybe or maybe not ratio as to whether they will be passive and get along, but how many do you think I should get? The angels I have on hold are so tempting I dont want to let them go lol. I also have a spare 20 gallon if breeding occurs...and an extra 5 gallon and 10 gallon. Do yall think I could pass it off? Thanks! Oh also- how many neon tetras could go in it?

They'll probably be fine while they are small but you might have issues as they get bigger. I've had some that grew up together and were fine, even while spawning, and others that would not tolerate other angels besides their mate.

First off no neons get larger cardinals. The angels are small now but grow quickly, very quickly and neons could be a temptation once they get some size on them.

I keep 12 in a 220. In a 60 I wouldn't start with more than 6 but if you start with 9 and let them mature you will have to thin the school out once pairing begins which can start as early as 8 months of age. In a 60 you might only be able to do 2 pair, 3 tops. Alot will depend on the temperment of the various angels. I had to sell 2 really bad tempered male angels or I would have had 14. Once paired you don't have them to breed and make money so don't stress them by trying to shift them back and forth between the reg tank and a breeding tank. Just let the ones you keep do their thing in the tank you keep them in.

That is way too many adult fish, once they get old enough to pair up they will fight each other. Neons will be expensive snacks for your angels. :) I'd think you might have enough angels right now.

Back
Top Bottom