Angel Question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently went to a 60 gallon from a 55 gallon and i am looking to add some more fish. I currently have 1 Angel and would like to add at least 1 more but not sure the best way to do it.

Should I get just one more or how many???
Should I try to get the shape size as the one I have?

Any input would be great!!

That's a tough question to answer. Your tanks not big enough for 6 which is a great number because if you have 6 or more angels in a tank aggression is spread out and no one angel gets picked on solely. I have 12 big angels in my 220 that I raise from dime body size.

Another thing is single angels tend to get "this tank is mine" attitude which means they usually give any new angels a very hard time. The one thing that often works is to remove the old resident angel, rearrange the tank, add the new angel/s, then re-add the old angel. This often tricks the old angel into thinking it's in a new tank where it has no set territory. Now understand they will all bicker until an hierarchy is formed but you have to watch for extreme aggression which sometimes happens.

So honestly I'd get 2 new angels that are close in size to your current angel so there are no unfair size/maturity for any one of them. If 2 happen to pair up then you can rehome the unmated angel.

Sounds good. Thanks Rivercat. That is why I want to add some quickly since the tank is new the current Angel may not be so territorial yet

Any more pointers are welcome

Thanks again

Feed the old angel at one end of the tank while adding the new angels at the other to distract it.

I'm not 100% on adding another Angel it all depends of I can find some the right size. I really want to but want to make sure it will work safely

I know this thread was about Angels. But I got a quick question about Rainbow Sharks.

Do Rainbow become aggressive? I have tetra, danios, bloodfins, albino cories, an Angel and dwarf gourami in my tank. Should I loom to rehome my Rainbow??

Yes they do with age but can pretty easily be avoided. Make sure you have lots and lots of plants and caves and food for him. Generally they chase anything aways from their territory. Also tank size is a very big player here the bigger the tank generally the less aggressikn

I have a 60 gallon, with pretty good hiding spots and a good amount of fake plants.

Eh little small but as long as they stay at the top the shark should never see them. Watch for aggression very closely, you may see some issues between your smaller fish.

Ok. I was thinking about rehoming just so I didn't have to worry about it. I hate to get rid of him but want all the fish to be happy and safe.

Been thinking and think I am going to add just 1 Angel. Is this going to be ok???

Like previously stated it really depends on if you can find one the same size as your other it should be fine. As long as they're the same size I see no reason why it shouldn't work besides the fact you'll probably see some territorial issues.

Ok. Thanks. I am going to try and find one similar size. Otherwise won't get one.

image-728218607.jpg

Here is the new guy!!! If anyone knows what exact kind he is that would be great. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom