Angel School?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was reading on another forum about someone stocking a 30g tank ad they wanted cichlids. So I went and posted that an angel would be a good idea for the tank. But apparently to everyone on the forum angels need schools of 6+ and a tank of 55g+. Is this true? Or are they giving out weird information?
Thanks!

Well they dont NEED to be in school. I have kept 3 angels alone in community tanks. They lived 1 year, 3 years, and now I have one thats over 4 years old. 30 gallons would be good for 1, but for every extra you should probably get an additional 10 gallons. Also, I have never had sucsess keeping more then one. For some reason only 1 lasts. Thats my expierence.

NYgiantsRP said:
Well they dont NEED to be in school. I have kept 3 angels alone in community tanks. They lived 1 year, 3 years, and now I have one thats over 4 years old. 30 gallons would be good for 1, but for every extra you should probably get an additional 10 gallons. Also, I have never had sucsess keeping more then one. For some reason only 1 lasts. Thats my expierence.

Ok, that's what I was thinking... Thanks!

Yeah, they are not really true schoolers like most tetras are. They are territorial fish. Not to mention I would not put 6 angels in a 55g for the long haul. But, fishkeeping yields multiple results and differing opinions. I think you were quite right in suggest an angel or 2 for that tank. JMO. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, they are not really true schoolers like most tetras are. They are territorial fish. Not to mention I would not put 6 angels in a 55g for the long haul. But, fishkeeping yields multiple results and differing opinions. I think you were quite right in suggest an angel or 2 for that tank. JMO. :)

Thanks! I'm not wrong:). I had said that they were territorial fish and with 6+ you'd need at least a 90g if they paired off. Thanks for the reassurance!

In the wild they are schoolers I think. I seen a amzaon river special on BBC America one time and there was at least 100 of them all together it was impressive. All black and grey marbled. Tons of tetras also.

Thanks! I'm not wrong:). I had said that they were territorial fish and with 6+ you'd need at least a 90g if they paired off. Thanks for the reassurance!

I agree, I'd go even further and say that 2 spawning pairs in a 90 is pushing it.

People usually get these fish when they are small, they see them schooling around in the pet store tank and think that they behave this way normally. Unfortunately as they grow up they (like most other fish) lose their schooling behavior and can become aggressive, especially the males when they pair up.

They do school together, but they are not true schoolers. Since they break up and defend their own territories as part of breeding, thats what makes them not "true schoolers." But yes, they do indeed school together. Good point. :)

Back
Top Bottom