angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy228

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is it better to have more than one angelfish in a fish tank cause i heard once they have paired off they become super agressive

I have three angels in my 55 gal and I've not had any issues with agression between the angels. In fact, they are always together as if they were a schooling fish. One of my angels is agressive at times to my other fish, but it's not often enough to be an issue for me.

i put three angels in my 55 gal last week thay have not been agressive at all.

I don't want to steal your thread fishguy, I just had a quick question. Can I have one angelfish in a 29 gallon aquarium or will it get to big?

You should be able to do one in a 29.. A 29 is about as tall as a 55 or 75.. So you should be good as long as you don't have a bunch of other fish stocked in it...

I'm interested in getting some angels myself.. So watching this thread...

I prefer to keep my angel fish (veiltails) in groups. They tend to do better that way. A group of 3 or 6 tends to work well, that way one does not get aggressive towards the others. (Mine are in my 80 gallon community tank and are get along quite well with my other fish). Angelfish like to have a well planted tank with lots of plants and caves/etc to hide in.

They do fine in groups, depending on the size of tank is how many angels you have (obviously). If they have a spawn of eggs they will be aggressive towards other fish.

I have had 1angel fish in my 29 for ~ 3 years already.

I got her when she was quarter size and right now she's the size of my hand!

She think she's the queen of the tank and will chase the cories around sometimes when she sees them.

I've got a palm-sized koi angel in my 25 tall. The only time she'll pester the other guys (6 zebra danios) is during feeding. Otherwise she just cruises around.

I'll watch this thread with interest, too, as I have one angelfish in my 40 gallon tank. I had wanted to get a pair of angels, but the guy at the fish store said that two would be aggressive. Angelo, my angelfish, is kind of a bad*** and he bothered my large fancy goldfish for three days after I added him to the tank. Now, he's really mellow for the most part, but sometimes he gets riled up. He's a cool fish, though, and I'm glad I own one.

Just thought I would share.. Got 3 angel's from a new Petco the other day.. 1 blushing, 1 yellow, 1 marbled yellow.. Blushing was a pain to get in the net, so I figured he would be the first to go... So far he's good, and the other two are in a seperation tank because I found both of them lazily on the bottom this morning.. Wish me luck..

All of my angels have done the same thing when I first put them in the tank - sort of mope around at the bottom of the tank in one of the corners and look sick. For me, it lasts about a week and then they snap out of it. People have told me it's due to high nitrates but I have excellent water parameters and do a large PWC every week.

I can't explain it, but all of my angels are doing fine months later.

Hmm, odd.. I have less than 5ppm nitrates... I don't ever see them eat at feeding time though.. The one blushing one had a small bit of bloodworm today, but the others in the seperation tank didn't even think about it.. They were actually laying on their sides, and the other fish would come along and bump them around.. One of my gourami likes to chase them around from time to time, so I figured best to seperate them till/if they get stronger.. Thanks for the hopefull outlook though! :)

Yeah i brought home 4 small angel fish for my 29 gallon. unfortinetly one of them dident make it and they must have pared off already. one of the 2 white ones died and the other 3 stayed alive. the remaning white one will go by the filter (where the other white one got suck agenst the filter) and guard it from other fish some times and just mope around at the bottem their. i feel bad for her but she made a strong come back from the fin rot that stresed out and killed her partner and she mopes around less.

The second angel in the seperation tank I think paired off with the blushing angel.. The blushing is staying right beside the seperation tank and won't leave.. I've tried all sorts of food.. Frozen bloodworms, frozen baby brine, and I don't see him eat on anything.. He'll probably be in fish heaven when I get home this evening.. :(

I hope not! I've had some trial and error with Angelfish as well. My first one didn't last long at all. I then bought two more and they survived for a while until I forgot to add dechlorinator after a water change :(

I then got two more and one died of fin/tail rot while the other was able to pull through it. I've had that one now for more than 2 years. I decided to get another Angelfish for company for the first one. They can't seem to stand each other. They constantly poke at each other and chase each other around, yet while they are not fighting, the are hanging out side by side.

So as you can see I've gone through my fare share of Angels sadly. I also can't really pinpoint what made these Angels survive when others have not. Maybe just my maturation as a fishkeeper and learning how to keep a successful aquarium. Hopefully your angelfish pull through!

Well, I came home to find him dead that night.. I don't know what the issue was, but they were just not eating as soon as I put them in.. I've been having to spot feed the 3rd one to make sure he gets some food.. I went to the only NICE lfs around and they gave me a great deal on two silver dollar sized angels for $9 a piece.. Gold Marble.. Extremely happy, and eat anything that hits the water.. The 3rd smaller guy will hang with them sometimes, but I think he's still trying to get strong enough to swim my tank...

Back
Top Bottom